Flying Eagles to Play Ghana, Benin in WAFU Tourney

first_imgNigeria’s Under-20 boys, Flying Eagles, will sweat it out with their counterparts from Ghana, Niger Republic and Benin Republic in Group B of the WAFU U20 Cup Tournament holding in Lome, capital of Togo between December 6th and 16th.Organisers have put the competition together as a major preparatory programme for the sub-region’s five teams that have qualified to participate at the 2019 Africa Under-20 Cup of Nations finals holding in Tanzania between February 2nd and 17th next year.Seven-time champions Nigeria, alongside Senegal, Burkina Faso, Ghana and Niger Republic will take part in the 11-day tourney in Lome. The five countries will be joined in Tanzania by Burundi, Angola and the host nation. The Flying Eagles come up against the Young Squirrels of Benin in their first match of the tournament on 7th December, before matches against Junior Mena of Niger Republic (9th December) and Ghana’s Black Satellites (12th December).The eight-nation tournament will see hosts Togo, Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso and Senegal contending in Group A. Matches have been scheduled for the Stade Municipal and the Stade JCA, both in Lome.Togo and Cote d’Ivoire will battle it out in the opening match on 6th December, hours before Senegal confront Burkina Faso. Both matches will come up at the Stade Municipal, which is also venue for the final match on 16th December.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Super Eagles last_img read more

Penguins fire GM Ray Shero

first_imgIn this April 12, 2012, file photo, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero talks with reporters as the NHL hockey team cleared out their locker room at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.  AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Pittsburgh Penguins fired general manager Ray Shero on Friday while the status of coach Dan Bylsma will be evaluated.Team co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle said it was time to take the franchise in a new direction after the team’s latest playoff flameout. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference semifinals this week.Assistant general manager Jason Botterill will serve as general manager on an interim basis while the team searches for Shero’s replacement.The Penguins rolled to the Metropolitan Division title this season but failed yet again to produce a bookend to the championship they won with stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in 2009. Pittsburgh is just 4-5 in playoff series since raising the Stanley Cup after blowing a 3-1 series lead against New York.“We share the disappointment of our fans that we have not had success in the playoffs over the past five seasons,” Lemieux and Burkle said in a joint statement. “We believe that new leadership in the general manager’s office will bring a new approach and new energy, and help us return to championship form.”Penguins President and CEO David Morehouse didn’t blame the 51-year-old Shero’s ouster on one specific failure.“This is a decision that’s been in the works for a long time since we’ve won the Cup,” Morehouse said. “We wanted to get back to the Stanley Cup finals and we haven’t and we’re going to make some changes.”The Penguins hired Shero in 2006 and tasked him with building a foundation around Crosby that could turn Pittsburgh into a dynasty. The Penguins reached the finals in 2008 and won it all the following season thanks in part to Shero’s ability to find the right supporting cast to build around Crosby and Malkin’s otherworldly offensive talent.Shero remained aggressive in investing in a “win now” mode as the ensuing disappointments piled up. He wasn’t afraid to go “all in” as he put it last year after trading for Jarome Iginla, Jussi Jokinen, Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray at the deadline. The moves often created headlines but little else, and splashy moves and a sellout streak seven years and counting proved no longer enough for Shero to keep his job.Morehouse believes Shero’s replacement won’t need to make an overhaul. It’s why the team started what will be a busy offseason by focusing on who will call the shots, not take them.“What we wanted to do first is address the situation at the top and the leader of the organization is the general manager,” Morehouse said. “It’s not a complete rebuild. This is a team that has had a level of success. What we’re trying to do now is get from good to great.”Whether Bylsma will be along for the ride remains unclear.The affable, open-minded Michigan native was a revelation when the Penguins promoted him from their American Hockey League affiliate in the spring of 2009, hoping his optimism would help a loaded team break out of a midseason funk.It worked brilliantly. Four months after taking the job, the former NHL nomad who spent nine seasons as a gritty fourth-line forward was raising the Cup in triumph. Considering Crosby and Malkin were both in their early 20s at the time, more parades were expected.Five years later, the wait continues. While Pittsburgh enjoyed nearly unparalleled success in the regular season – including easily capturing a division title this year despite losing more than 500-man games to injury – the Penguins again struggled to adapt in the postseason.Morehouse said the new general manager will determine whether Bylsma and the rest of the stack gets another shot. The 43-year-old Bylsma has two years remaining on his contract, the product of an extension he received last June as a vote of confidence from Shero following a four-game sweep at the hands of Boston in the Eastern Conference semifinals.The extension came with a promise to adopt a more defensive-minded approach. The Penguins even brought in longtime NHL coach Jacques Martin as an assistant, an old-school yin to Bylsma’s new-school yang.It led to a similar destination: the Penguins watching the final stages of the two-month slog to the Cup go on without them. Now they’ll try to get back to the top with a new architect.“A lot of teams would like to be where we are,” Morehouse said. “However we do have high expectations and we do want to get to them.”last_img read more

Senior Novice Leafs sweep pair of games in Trail

first_imgThe Leafs now prepare to host the annual Senior Novice Tournament January 8-10 at the NDCC Arena. The Nelson Leafs Senior Novice team won a pair of games last weekend in the Silver City, edging the Trail Troopers and Trail Nitehawks by identical 3-2 scores in minor hockey action.Nelson defeated the Troopers on goals by Larson Proctor, Miller Tedesco and Sawan Bhabra.The Novice Leafs then narrowly got past the Nitehawks on goals by Jack Boyes, Cohen Wolbaum and Drae Hudson.last_img

Gallery: Football Fridays launch

first_imgPhotos by Khanyi MagubaneFriday 4 September 2009 saw the launch of Football Fridays, a campaign aiming to ignite South Africans’ enthusiasm for the 2010 Fifa World Cup by encouraging each and every one of them to wear the football jersey of their favourite team every Friday.Click on thumbnails to enlarge, or right-click on the link below it to download a high-resolution version of the image.  Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image Download larger image MORE GALLERIESlast_img read more

Music Showcase! 10 Dramatic Royalty Free Tracks

first_imgThe best dramatic royalty free tracks to add tension and suspense to your game or video project!One of the best ways to emphasize drama in your game or video is by including a driving and stimulating soundtrack.  From epic movie trailer scores to subtle music beds, the following dramatic royalty free tracks will draw the listener in and keep them engaged!last_img

BCCI awards: WC team felicitated; Sachin, Durrani honoured

first_imgSachin Tendulkar and former all-rounder Salim Durrani bagged top honours, while the World Cup winning Indian team led by skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was felicitated by the Cricket Board at it annual awards function in Mumbai on Tuesday evening.Tendulkar was bestowed with the ‘Polly Umrigar Award for India’s best cricketer of 2009-10’ and received a trophy and cheque for Rs five lakh, while Durrani was felicitated with the CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for which he received a trophy, a cheque for Rs 15 lakh and a citation.Members of the World Cup winning Indian team were felicitated and presented cheques worth Rs two crore each by BCCI president Shashank Manohar and BCCI secretary N. Srinivasan.The support staff of the team too were honoured and presented cheques of Rs 50 lakh each as declared by the Cricket Board earlier.However, former coach Gary Kirsten, mental conditioning coach Paddy Upton and bowling consultant coach Eric Simmons were absent.Among those present were members of the 1983 World Cup winning squad, including then skipper Kapil Dev, Balwinder Singh Sandhu, Dilip Vengsarkar, Sandeep Patil and Yashpal Sharma.On the occasion, Dhoni thanked fans for supporting the team and said that winning the coveted trophy after 28 long years was a proud moment.”I thank all of you for the support we got throughout the World Cup. Hundred crore people supported us in the country as well as outside. It was a great moment for us. When you play for the country, the one thing you want to win is the World Cup. It is a proud moment for all of us. The victory was achieved thanks to the combination of experienced players and youngsters. We exploited the conditions really well. It was a great moment,” Dhoni said.advertisementWith inputs from PTIlast_img read more

Goodell Upholds Brady Suspension

first_imgNEW YORK — Tom Brady’s four-game suspension for his role in using underinflated footballs during the AFC championship game has been upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.The league announced the decision July 28, with Goodell saying that the New England quarterback told an assistant to destroy Brady’s cellphone on or just before March 6. Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells on that day.“He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone,” Goodell said in his decision.“During the four months that the cellphone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device.”Brady acknowledged in his testimony he was aware of investigators’ request for information from the cellphone before he had it destroyed, the appeal decision said.Wells’ investigation had no subpoena power and Brady was under no legal obligation to cooperate.The text messages were critical to Wells’ investigation because they could have shown details of Brady’s messages with equipment managers blamed for deflating footballs.The four-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback was suspended by NFL executive Troy Vincent in May following the Wells report.The Patriots were fined $1 million and docked a pair of draft picks. The team didn’t appeal its penalty, but Brady and his lawyers made their case during a 10-hour appeal hearing on June 23.The NFL Players Association has previously said it would challenge the decision in court if Brady’s suspension wasn’t erased.The union said it would have a statement later in the day. The Patriots said they had no comment on the decision.Moments after announcing Goodell’s decision, the league filed action in U.S. District Court in New York against the union, saying the NFL commissioner has the right under the labor agreement to hand out such discipline “for conduct that he determines is detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football.”Goodell mentioned exactly that in the conclusion of his appeal decision.“Especially in light of the new evidence introduced at the hearing — evidence demonstrating that he arranged for the destruction of potentially relevant evidence that had been specifically requested by the investigators — my findings and conclusions have not changed in a manner that would benefit Mr. Brady,” Goodell said.Brady and the Patriots have denied knowingly using deflated footballs in the AFC title game win over Indianapolis. The Patriots went on to beat Seattle in the Super Bowl and Brady was the MVP.The NFL announced in late January that Wells would head an investigation into New England’s use of underinflated balls against the Colts.More than three months later, the 243-page Wells report was issued, saying it was “more probable than not” that Brady was “at least generally aware” that footballs he used were improperly deflated by team personnel.Brady appealed and the union asked Goodell to recuse himself from hearing the appeal because he could not be impartial and might be called as a witness. But Goodell said it was his responsibility to oversee the hearing to protect the integrity of the league.Scientific arguments were a major part of Brady’s defense. Brady’s lawyers tried to shoot down the findings of an independent firm hired to provide scientific analysis of the air pressure inside the footballs used by the Patriots and Colts.Brady, who turns 38 on Aug. 3, took nearly every snap last season. But he’ll miss the first four games this season unless the case goes to court.Jimmy Garoppolo, a second-round pick in 2014, would replace Brady, the two-time NFL MVP and three-time Super Bowl MVP.New England hosts Pittsburgh on Sept. 10 to open the regular season. It then goes to Buffalo, hosts Jacksonville, has a bye, and is at Dallas in the last game of Brady’s suspension. Brady would return against, yes, the Colts on Oct. 18 in Indianapolis.(BARRY WILNER, AP Pro Football Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Touch taking off in the Middle East

first_imgExpats around the world play a vital role in the promotion and development of Touch Football in their respective countries abroad. We recently heard from former representative player, Gary Hart, who is doing some fantastic work in the Middle East. On Friday, 28 February, a Men’s, Women’s and social side from Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Al Ain and possibly Qatar will meet in Abu Dhabi for a one day tournament. Hart says that he was in contact with John Larkins from Abu Dhabi Touch late last year and is looking forward to the opportunity. “Saudi Arabia is sending three teams from the Eastern Provence, where Touch is played in three residential communities, Sara, Dhahran and Abqaiq. Players from these communities have been getting together every Friday since early December and training. The training has been all about the basics of Touch, incorporating a couple of rucking moves, and defensive strategies.  Most players are expats from Australia, New Zealand, England and America and mostly over the age of 35, however we do have a couple of local Saudis playing. Socially Touch has been played  for over 20 years in Saudi Arabia, however this will be the first combined Middle East competition, and hopefully the first of many more.”Touch Football Australia would like to congratulate the teams on this initiative and wish them all the best for the tournament. To keep up-to-date with International Touch related news, please visit the Federation of International Touch website – http://www.international-touch.org/ Related LinksInternational Touchlast_img read more

SBM Offshore Settles Bribery Case Agrees to Pay USD 238 Mn

first_imgzoom Netherlands-based SBM Offshore and its US subsidiary have agreed to resolve criminal charges involving bribes in five countries and pay a criminal penalty of USD 238 million.According to the US Department of Justice, the penalty was set in connection with schemes involving the bribery of foreign officials in Brazil, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Kazakhstan and Iraq in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). SBM USA pleaded guilty on November 29 in connection with the resolution.“This corrupt scheme involved some of the highest-level executives within the company, spanned five countries, and lasted for more than a decade,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General John P. Cronan of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division.SBM entered into a deferred prosecution agreement in connection with a criminal information filed on November 29 in the Southern District of Texas charging the company with conspiracy to violate the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA. In addition, SBM USA pleaded guilty and was sentenced on a one-count criminal information charging the company with conspiracy to violate the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA.Pursuant to its agreement with the Department, SBM agreed to pay a total criminal penalty of USD 238 million to the United States, including a USD 500,000 criminal fine and USD 13.2 million in criminal forfeiture that SBM agreed to pay on behalf of SBM USA.According to the companies’ admissions and court documents, beginning by at least 1996 and continuing until at least 2012, SBM conspired to violate the FCPA by paying more than USD 180 million in commissions to intermediaries, knowing that a portion of those commissions would be used to bribe foreign officials in Brazil, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Kazakhstan and Iraq.SBM made these payments in order to influence those officials, for the purpose of securing improper advantages and obtaining or retaining business with state-owned oil companies in the five named countries. SBM acknowledged that it gained at least USD 2.8 billion from projects it obtained from these state-owned oil companies.The Justice Department resolution follows guilty pleas by two former SBM executives. On November 9, Anthony Mace, the former CEO of SBM and a former member of the board of directors of SBM USA, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to violate the FCPA. On November 6, Robert Zubiate, a former SBM USA executive, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to violate the FCPA. Mace and Zubiate are awaiting sentencing.In 2014, SBM settled with the Dutch Public Prosecutor’s Office over related conduct and paid the Netherlands a total USD 200 million in disgorged profits and a USD 40 million fine. SBM has paid a combined worldwide total in criminal penalties in excess of USD 475 million.last_img read more

Yogi to attend Janmashtami celebrations in Mathura

first_imgMathura: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath will attend the grand ‘Janamashtami’ celebrations in Mathura.He will stay in Mathura for two days during Janamashtami and perform ‘Abhishek’ at the Krishna Janambhoomi.Janamashtami will be celebrated on August 24 but the week-long celebrations in Mathura-Vrindavan will begin from August 17. The cultural programmes will be held at the Ramlila ground in Mathura and near the Vaishno Devi temple in Vrindavan.Special security arrangements were being made for the festival as well as for Adityanath’s visit.SSP Shalabh Mathur has sent a requisition for additional forces that were being called in from Prayagraj, Agra and other adjoining districts for the occasion.The SSP said that an ATS commando squad will also arrive in Mathura on August 22.last_img read more