Lee Clark has told talkSPORT he would relish the opportunity to take charge of Fulham.The former Craven Cottage star is itching to return to management after ending a tumultuous six-month spell at Blackpool in May.He has now thrown his hat into the ring for the vacancy at Fulham, although he accepts he is an outsider for the role given some of the experienced names being bandied about.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the 43-year-old said: “Would I be interested in being manager of Fulham? Of course I would. I would be absolutely delighted it that were to be the case.“It is a special club to play for, there are terrific people behind the scenes, and it was a brilliant place for me to live with the family.“Of course I would throw my hat into the ring for that but there is a lot of people with more experience than me who have been linked with that one.”Clark won just three of his 33 games as Blackpool boss but his time at Bloomfield Road was blighted by off-field struggles.He admits he should never have taken on the job and hopes Football League chairmen look at his previous work with Birmingham and Huddersfield when considering whether to hand him another opportunity.“The next one has got to be right,” he said. “I made a mistake with my last choice, everyone could see that.“Hopefully, people will see past that and see the work I did in the previous two under different circumstances at Huddersfield and Birmingham and give me an opportunity.”
Europa League: Augsburg 0-0 Liverpool: Jurgen Klopp fails to win on return to Germany 1 Liverpool were held to a goalless draw by Ausgburg in the last 32 of the Europa League, on Jurgen Klopp’s first return to Germany as manager.That result means the Reds will take a positive scoreline back to Anfield for next Thursday’s second leg – which takes place three days before the League Cup final against Manchester City.With his background Klopp knew all he needed to about Augsburg but even he could not have accounted for Daniel Sturridge fluffing their best chance from six yards out early in the second half.He named the same side which put six past Villa on Sunday, the first time he had done so in the 30 matches he has had in charge so far.But that side boasted just four career European goals for the Reds between them – going into the game Augsburg’s top scorer Raul Bobadilla had scored six in the competition this season, but the big striker lasted only 23 minutes before being forced off through injury.It contributed to a scrappy first half in which the visitors gained a foothold by the mid-point but could easily have been behind by the interval had Alexander Esswein not been denied by Simon Mignolet. That came after Augsburg had countered from a Liverpool attack which broke down on the edge of home team’s penalty area on the stroke of half-time.Liverpool never really threatened at the other end with Roberto Firmino, Sturridge and Jordan Henderson’s weak efforts all failing to test goalkeeper Marwin Hitz.Sturridge – incredibly making only his third European appearance in just over three years at the club – looked tentative at times, lacked vision at others, but to see him starting consecutive games for the first time since March last year was another positive in his post-injury recovery.But no matter how long he has spent on the sidelines since April a striker of his quality should have dispatched with ease a cross from James Milner, who had played a clever one-two with Firmino, but the England international barely connected.Augsburg are just one point above the Bundesliga’s relegation zone and their limitations – and intent – were quite apparent but Liverpool struggled to break them down.Philippe Coutinho flicked an effort wide and Paul Verhaegh almost put through his own net from a Liverpool free-kick and had to be rescued by Hitz right on the goalline before, with 67 minutes gone, Divock Origi replaced Sturridge.Alberto Moreno and Henderson both tried to break the deadlock from distance before Liverpool had a lucky escape when Caiuby failed to get a proper touch in the six-yard area with only Mignolet to beat.Home substitute Ji Dong-won struck the post five minutes from time to give Liverpool another scare and a warning the home leg will be anything other than straightforward.
Kevin Stewart [right] in action for Liverpool Liverpool youngster Kevin Stewart has revealed he is ahead of schedule in his recovery from an ankle ligament injury.The 22-year-old midfielder made his Premier League debut against Aston Villa last month but his progress was halted after he suffered the cruel injury just three days later in training.There were fears that Stewart would be ruled out for the rest of the season but the former Tottenham man is now back in light training and closing in on a return.“The rehab’s gone a lot quicker than expected,” he told the club’s official website.“I didn’t expect it to get better so quick but I’ve been out on the pitch for about a week now doing some running and passing.” 1
The pen remains mighty indeed.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A woman with a friendly voice called our sister publication, the Long Beach Press-Telegram, Monday morning and posed a question – or maybe it was more a statement in the form of a question – about the writers strike: Who cares? she asked. The inquiry, at least from a consumer’s point of view, is valid. For the typical television viewer, the work stoppage is about as relevant as a VCR. Satellite, cable, the Internet, Netflix, podcasts and other services provide so many ways to deliver entertainment to Americans that there is little risk of redundant viewing. The multitude of choices, however, are at the core of the strike. Screenwriters and studios cannot agree on what content is worth when it is placed on the World Wide Web or on DVD. We understand the writers’ concerns because their jobs are unstable and often months or even years apart. They need residuals to pay their bills and, most importantly, to pen the shows we all enjoy. But we also understand the entertainment industry’s dilemma in determining proper compensation for content providers when television viewership is in decline, and making money on Web content is difficult. Not only are ad rates typically reduced online, there is an expectation among viewers that everything they view should be free. This is one reason why the writers’ strike matters. All of us in the business of providing content in exchange for pay want to see how one of the region’s core industries determines what words are worth online. But we recognize that this isn’t just about creators and customers. Advertisers who want to get their messages to a targeted viewership may leave television for good or at least discover the advantages of targeting customers on the Web, one of the format’s true strengths since it is so easy to track online viewing behavior. We bet many advertisers are not going to want to spend their budgets on reruns, and that money will flow into other outlets, and possibly out of Southern California. That could hurt the regional economy. Bringing one of the state’s dominant industries to a standstill threatens more than just Hollywood. It threatens the region. Many cities are receiving a healthy share of TV and film production. This is one of the reasons the writers strike now going on at such locales as Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach and Sony Studios in Culver City matters so much. As Reuters reported Monday, the strike involving 12,000 screenwriters with the Writers Guild of America could cost the Los Angeles region $1 billion. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre
NHL: Anaheim picks up its first win away from home. By The Associated Press GLENDALE, Ariz. – After struggling on the road for more than a month, this was the kind of effort the Ducks sought. The Ducks regained some luster from their Stanley Cup championship season, as Jean-Sebastien Giguere stopped 30 shots and the Ducks beat Phoenix, 5-2, on Saturday night for their first road win. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “We need to start playing on the road as we play at home,” said forward Cory Perry, who scored two goals. “That means forechecking, and limit turnovers. When we wear teams down, that’s when we’re effective.” Giguere, bidding for this 26th career NHL shutout, lost the whitewash early in the final period. The 30-year-old netminder picked up his third win of the season to go with three losses and one tie. The Ducks used a two goal flurry in a span of less than four minutes in the second period to create room for the victory. Perry began the spurt by picking up a loose puck in front and lifting in a backhander at 4:58. Less then four minutes later, defenseman Mathieu Schneider’s shot from the left point was tipped in by Brad May, his first of the season, giving the Ducks’ 3-0 lead. Midway through the opening session, the Ducks broke out on top. Skating with a two-man advantage, Schneider rifled in a 30-foot drive from the slot at 11:13 for a 1-0 Ducks lead. The 19-year veteran picked up a goal and two assists. Late in the opening period, Chris Kunitz missed giving the Ducks a two-goal advantage when he hit the left post behind Alex Auld, the Phoenix goaltender. That was the third Anaheim shot of the opening period that went behind Auld and deflected off the post. The Coyotes’ Radiim Vrbata broke Giguere’s shutout bid when he tipped in Jovanovski’s shot trailing in the slot. The goal came at 2:29 of the third period. Ryan Getzlaf put it out of reach with a power-play goal at 13:19 of the final period, making it 4-1. Jovanovski’s power play at 18:08 brought Phoenix to within two. Perry scored his second of the game after Auld was pulled, sending the puck the length of the rink at 19:35. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
NEW YORK – Citigroup Inc. said Sunday Chairman and Chief Executive Charles Prince, beset by the company’s billions of dollars in losses from investing in bad debt, has retired and is being replaced as chairman by former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin. In an announcement following an emergency meeting of Citi’s board, the nation’s largest banking company also said Sir Win Bischoff, chairman of Citi Europe and a Member of the Citi management and operating committees, would serve as interim CEO. Rubin, a former co-chairman of Goldman, Sachs & Co., has served as the chairman of Citi’s executive committee. Prince’s resignation, which was secured at an emergency meeting of the Citi board Sunday, was expected after the nation’s largest banking company revealed it had to write down billions of dollars in bad debt. He joined former Merrill Lynch & Co. CEO Stan O’Neal, who resigned from the investment bank last month, as the highest-profile casualties of the debt crisis that has cost billions at other financial institutions as well. In a separate statement, Citi said it would take an additional $8 billion to $11 billion in writedowns. It has already said it was writing down $6.5 billion in assets. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Prince, 57, became chief executive of Citigroup in October 2003. Many shareholders criticized him openly for much of his tenure, as Citigroup’s stock lagged its peers while Prince executed what was called an umbrella model of corporate organization, with several separate lines of business. Shares closed Friday at $37.73, about 20 percent below where they were when Prince became CEO. Prince’s position looked especially shaky after the company on Oct. 1 estimated that third-quarter profit would decline about 60 percent to some $2.2 billion after seeing nearly $6 billion in credit costs and write-downs of overly leveraged corporate debt and souring home mortgages. At that time, Prince said the bank’s earnings would return to normal in the fourth quarter. But when Citigroup released its third-quarter results two weeks later, the write-downs and credit costs exceeded $6 billion, and Chief Financial Officer Gary Crittenden indicated the outlook going forward wasn’t as upbeat as Prince had predicted. Citigroup wasn’t alone in its third-quarter turmoil. When borrowers with poor credit stopped paying their mortgages, many banks not only had to take losses on those subprime mortgages, they also saw instruments in their portfolios backed by mortgages plummet in value. But Citigroup’s stumbles were particularly grievous, given the bank’s size, history and CEO, who had been telling shareholders for years to give his strategy a chance. Even in October, Prince said in a call to analysts: “I think any fair-minded person would say that strategic plan is working.” The umbrella model that Sanford I. Weill created and Prince touted looked like a giant mess compared to its conglomerate counterpart JPMorgan Chase & Co. – now led by Weill’s former protege, Jamie Dimon. JPMorgan’s writedowns were smaller, and strength in asset management, security services, card services and commercial banking units made up for weakness in other areas. Having cut costs and built up cash reserves in previous quarters, the bank was better prepared for a tough lending climate.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A MEETING of creditors of Mountain Top Quarry Limited has been called for next week, donegaldaily.com has learned.The company, based on the Ramelton Road in Letterkenny, has its registered office at Grand Canal House, 1 Grand Canal Street, Dublin.A meeting of creditors will take place at the Morgan Hotel, Fleet Street, Dublin at 9am next Friday, February 11th. EndsCREDITORS MEETING ANNOUNCED FOR MOUNTAIN TOP QUARRY LIMITED was last modified: February 3rd, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
1 Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery celebrates scoring against Eintracht Frankfurt Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich only managed a 1-0 victory over basement battlers Eintracht Frankfurt – but what a goal it was from Franck Ribery.In only his 11th appearance of the season due to injury, the Frenchman stunned the Allianz Arena after just 20 minutes by producing one of the strikes of the season.Liverpool target Mario Gotze had seen a shot saved by goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky but, unfortunately for the Finnish star, the ball found Ribery on the edge of the area and he jumped into the air before slamming a bicycle kick over his opponent and into the net.You can see Franck Ribery’s incredible goal for Bayern Munich against Eintracht Frankfurt below…
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson The 49ers held a nine-point lead at 57-48 with 7:29 left, when the Aggies went on 13-6 run to tie the contest at 61-61 with 3:56 left. The Aggies took the lead for good 64-62 after two free throws from Jackie Turpin with 1:54 remaining. LBSU controlled the pace in the first half, shooting 64 percent on 16-of-25 shooting. McCutcheon led LBSU with 13 first-half points, including three 3-pointers. LBSU led 21-12, after a Val Willhoit jumper at the 11:35 mark, before the Aggies cut the deficit to 23-22, after a 10-2 run in a three-minute span. UC Davis took a 25-24 lead, before LBSU climbed back on top, 26-25 after a Fernanda Santos layup with 6:50 left in the half. The 49ers increased their lead back to 36-27, after a Jeannie Saunders layup and held its biggest lead at 42-29, after two consecutive Saunders free throws. A Jessica Campbell three-pointer at the halftime buzzer cut LBSU’s lead to 42-34. The 49ers return home to open conference play against UC Santa Barbara on Saturday at 2 p.m. The Long Beach State women’s basketball team had its three game win streak snapped after a 67-64 loss at UC Davis on Monday night. Crystal McCutcheon paced the 49ers (7-5) with 19 points to go along with six rebounds, three assists, and three steals. McCutcheon was 4-of-8 from 3-point range. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Jayme Connors registered a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds, while Meghan Griffith chipped in with eight points. Long Beach State shot 46 percent (23-of-50), but was out-rebounded, 38-32. Jessica Campbell led UC Davis (6-7) with 16 points. The Aggies converted 21-of-29 free throws and shot 34 percent.
Detroit 3, at Nashville 1 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson Pittsburgh 4 Ilya Kovalchuk put up his second hat trick of the season for the Thrashers, scoring his third goal into an empty net with 44 seconds left to clinch a the win over the Penguins. Kovalchuk leads the NHL with 30 goals this season. at Carolina 4, N.Y. Islanders 1 Cory Stillman scored the go-ahead goal late in the second period to spark the Southeast Division-leading Hurricanes, who won the last three games on a four-game homestand. Defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom scored two power-play goals to lead the Red Wings. It marked the first time this season that the Predators lost in regulation to a Central Division team. The Red Wings are 13-1 against teams in their division. at Atlanta 6, Philadelphia 3, at Washington 1 Simon Gagne and Peter Forsberg each had a goal and an assist as the Flyers stretched their road-point streak to 14 games. Gagne’s 29th goal broke a 1-all tie with 27 seconds left in the second period. at Calgary 1, Toronto 0 Tony Amonte scored the only goal in the second period and Miikka Kiprusoff made 27 saves for his NHL-leading sixth shutout and league-best 22nd win of the season as the Flames ended the Maple Leafs’ six-game winning streak. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!