Another case was added to the province’s Rewards for Major Unsolved Crimes program today, July 10. The Department of Justice will offer a cash reward of up to $150,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of individuals responsible for the following case: — Tanya Jean Brooks of Halifax, homicide. “Ms. Brooks was last seen two months ago today,” said Attorney General and Justice Minister Ross Landry. “We are hoping that by releasing Ms. Brooks’ photo and offering a cash reward, it will trigger memories and prompt people to come forward with information that could help solve this case.” Tanya Brooks, also known as Tanya Lynch, was last seen leaving Halifax Regional Police Headquarters on May 10, 2009, at about 8:20 p.m. Ms. Brooks was known to frequent the Gottingen Street area. At 2 p.m. the following day, May 11, Ms. Brooks’ body was discovered in a basement window well of St. Patrick’s-Alexandra School in Halifax. It was determined that Ms. Brooks died of unnatural causes. An investigation ensued but no criminal charges have been laid. Although the case remains unsolved, the investigation is still ongoing. “Investigators believe there are people who know what happened to Tanya Brooks and we are imploring them to come forward,” said Halifax Regional Police Chief Frank Beazley. “We are also asking anyone who may have seen or heard anything out of the ordinary around St. Patrick’s-Alexandra School after 9 p.m. on May 10 to come forward. “Ms. Brooks was someone’s daughter, mother and sister and we require the public’s assistance in the investigation into her untimely death.” At the time of her death, Ms. Brooks was 36-years old and a mother of five children. Ms. Brooks was an Aboriginal female, associated with the Millbrook First Nation. Anyone with information about this case can call the Department of Justice toll-free at 1-888-710-9090. Those who do come forward with information will be expected to provide their name and contact information. In addition, they may be called to testify in court. The Rewards for Major Unsolved Crimes Program was launched in October 2006 as another tool for law enforcement to use in solving crime. There are now 57 cases in the program. NOTE TO EDITORS: A photo of Tanya Jean Brooks is available at http://gov.ns.ca/news/Photos/2009/Jul/brooks-tanya.jpg .
CALGARY — MEG Energy said Wednesday it is slashing about $900 million from its 2015 capital spending plan, a 75 per cent decline from what was announced less than two weeks ago as the oilsands producer adjusts to uncertainty about oil prices.The Calgary-based company is now aiming at $305 million of capital spending next year, down from the previous estimate of $1.2 billion. The previous 2015 budget included about $600 million for mid-term growth initiatives at the Christina Lake oilsands project.MEG didn’t disclose on Wednesday where the spending reductions will be made but said it’s responding to a decline in oil prices, which have fallen to five-year lows.It said that staff levels “will remain consistent with current levels to maintain operations and to execute future growth.”Its previous guidance for 2015, issued Dec. 4, said the company would direct $965 million of its 2015 capital budget towards growth projects and $235 million for sustaining and maintaining its assets.Husky Energy Inc, Penn West Petroleum Ltd. latest to slash budgets to cope with oil price plungeEncana Corp bucks oil sector trend with plans to boost capital spending in 2015The company said previously that it had determined the Phase 2B plant at its Christina Lake oilsands operation was capable of processing more than 55,000 barrels per day of bitumen — well above the initial design of 35,000 barrels per day.It said in the Dec. 4 guidance that $355 million would be allocated to a series of “brownfield” expansions at Christina Phase 2B to increase steam generation and water treatment capacity and a further $160 million for drilling plus and $85 million for early engineering for followup expansions.“The revision of our 2015 capital investment plan is in response to the continuing deterioration of global crude oil markets,” Bill McCaffrey, MEG’s president and chief executive officer, said Wednesday.“While our projects remain economic at current strip pricing, we believe it is prudent to reduce capital spending until we see a sustained improvement in commodity prices. Our brownfield opportunities also provide us with the flexibility to increase spending at a measured pace under the right market conditions.”MEG’s previous guidance estimated 2014 capital spending would be $1.2 billion, down from the previous estimate of $1.8 billion.