New York plans 800-MW offshore wind auction by year’s end

first_imgNew York plans 800-MW offshore wind auction by year’s end FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Offshore Wind Journal:New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the state will hold its first offshore wind auction–for 800 MW–by the end of 2018.The New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) will procure approximately 800 MW of offshore wind through a solicitation issued in Q4 2018, in consultation with the New York Power Authority and the Long Island Power Authority. Awards are expected to be announced in Q2 2019. If needed, a second solicitation will be issued in 2019.Through the solicitations, NYSERDA will procure offshore wind renewable energy certificates (ORECs) from awarded facilities. Each electric utility and other third-party suppliers of electricity serving retail customers in New York will support these new offshore wind resources through the purchase of ORECs from NYSERDA.The New York State Offshore Wind Master Plan announced earlier this year by Governor Cuomo will guide the state in the responsible and cost-effective development of 2,400 MW of offshore wind by 2030. The governor also directed NYSERDA to invest US$15M in clean energy workforce development and infrastructure advancement to train workers to support the growth of the offshore wind industry.In June, NYSERDA was awarded a US$18.5M Department of Energy grant to lead the National Offshore Wind Research and Development Consortium. This nationwide offshore wind research and development consortium will be supported through a public-private partnership including the offshore wind industry, utilities, research laboratories, and other states.More: Cuomo kick-starts New York offshore wind with 800 MW procurementlast_img read more

DINAGYANG 2020 | SP: ONLY ONE DAY SIGNAL SHUTDOWN

first_imgILOILO City – The Sangguniang Panlungsod(SP) approved a resolution recommending a telecommunications signal shutdownduring the Dinagyang Festival for security reasons, but for one day only – on Jan.26 which is the day for the atitribes competition. Councilor Ganzon, however, said, “Wecannot compromise our safety.” For his part, Treñas said, a shortenedshutdown would give Dinagyang visitors the chance to share on social media theirfestival experience. This, he said, would further boost Dinagyang’s promotion. For Dinagyang 2020, the Iloilo City PoliceOffice (ICPO) originally requested two days signal shutdown – Jan. 25 and Jan. 26– as recommended by the SP Committee on Communication and Public Informationand Committee on Police, Fire, Penology, Public Safety and Security of the SP.City councillors, however, turned out to have various takes on the matter so itwas put to a vote. Four councilors initially pushed for a two-dayshutdown but later decided to abstain – Irene Ong, Leila Luntao, Rudolph Ganzon,and Julie Grace Baronda. Estante, on the other hand, said Jan. 25’sDagyang sa Calle Real is just street dancing. The police could broaden its intelligencegathering and maximize its visibility to deter criminals, he stressed. In recentyears, as a security precaution during Dinagyang, telecommunicationscompanies were ordered to suspend their mobile phone services. Terrorists coulddetonate improvised explosive devices using cell phone signals, explained the NationalTelecommunications Commission and Philippine National Police. Estante also emphasized thatcommunication is very important, especially during emergency situations.center_img Seven (majority) of the SP members – LyndonAcap, Dr. Candice Tupas, Eduardo Peñaredondo, Mandrie Malabor, Jay Treñas, ElyEstante, and Jojo Javellana – voted for a one-day shutdown only (Jan. 26). Only Councilor Allan Zaldivar voted fora no telecommunications shutdown. In the 2019 edition of the festival, thetelecommunications signal shutdown was for two days. Acap said a one-day shutdown is already reasonable.Jan. 26 is the day of the festival highlight (tribes competition) and a numberof dignitaries are expected to grace the event. The shutdown may take effect from 6 a.m.to 2 p.m. within a three-kilometer radius from the center of the competition,according to the city council. Zaldivar, meanwhile, said, “If we shut downcommunication…it will be very difficult for us residents kon pananglitan nga may ara hitabo sa aton barangay kay wala kitakomunikasyon nga magtawag sa police station.”/PNlast_img read more