MUMBAI, India, CMC – West Indies Cricket Board president, Dave Cameron, has hailed the resumption of bilateral ties with the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI), as the region prepares to host India in a four-Test series starting in July. The BCCI announced yesterday it had resumed relations with the WICB after resolving “outstanding issues” pertaining to the controversial abandoned tour of India two years ago, when West Indies players quit the one-day tour over pay issues with their board. “We are extremely delighted that concerns which arose due to the incomplete tour have been addressed and would like to thank BCCI for reviving our ties,” Cameron said in a statement. “West Indies cricket appreciates the support of BCCI and the cricket loving fans of the islands keenly look forward to witness some exciting contests between the two teams.” Last December, the WICB announced an agreement to play the four-Test series in the Caribbean, following discussions with BCCI president, Shashank Manohar. The agreement was a crucial step in the thawing of relations between the two bodies and BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur yesterday underscored the importance of the upcoming series. “The BCCI is happy to resume their bilateral ties with WICB. We recognise that West Indies has a huge role to play in the development of cricket and we are happy to support their endeavours,” he said. “This tour will further strengthen the bond between the Indian and the West Indian fans, who have over the years patronised this glorious game of cricket.” The BCCI had moved swiftly to suspend relations with the WICB, following the abandoned tour which also led to the cancellation of the scheduled Test tour. An upset BCCI blamed the WICB for the abandonment and lodged a US$42 million claim for losses incurred due to the cancellation, and threatened legal action if the Caribbean board did not show how the amount would be settled. At the time, the BCCI labelled the Windies pullout a “monumental disaster” and said it had been faced with “huge revenue losses, a loss of reputation and is at risk of losing valuable commercial partners.” The BCCI has since waived the US$42 million claim.
Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 09 Sept 2015 – The success of general maintenance exercises in August on the water production facility in Grand Turk has enabled the unit to pump out an additional 275 thousand plus gallons of water per day. This means that now residents in North Creek, Cork Tree Beach, Upper Overback and North Ridge should be receiving water.Hon. Amanda Misick expressed that her ministry is proud of the overall outcome of the exercise. She further encouraged customers who are not receiving water to contact the Water Undertaking Unit on 649 338 3519 or 338 3522.Residents are encouraged to replenish their reserves and to continue practicing water conservation methods, as this is the peak of the hurricane season. There has been a water shortage in the capital of Grand Turk since early June. Related Items:amanda missick, Cork Tree Beach, ggrand turk, North Creek, North Ridge, Upper Overback, water shortage, water undertaking unit PNP Party says it led wooden pier removal by Beaches Traffic relief coming for Blue Hills says Minister PNP Party takes credit for Beaches pier resolution
Abed KhanThe government has appointed the editor of the Daily Jagoron Abed Khan as chairman of the board of directors of Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB), reports UNB.The information ministry on Monday issued a notification in this regard saying that journalist Abed Khan will lead the 15-member board of directors of the institute.The post had fallen vacant following the death of former chairman Golam Sarwar on 13 August 2018.The order will be effective immediately, said the notification.
Flood control embankment along the Atrai river in Naogaon’s Manda upazila broke down flooding 22 villages. Photo: Prothom Alo.The overall flood situation in Kurigram, Bogura, Sherpur and Sirajganj districts continued to deteriorate while floodwater started receding in Rangamati and Moulvibazar, reports UNB.In Kurigram, the Brahmaputra and Dharla rivers kept flowing more than 1 metre above the danger level on Wednesday, inundating new areas.One-and-half-year-old child Fuad, son of Sumon Mia of Kazirchawk area of Ulipur upazila, drowned in floodwater in the afternoon.With this, at least 11 deaths have so far been reported from the district in the last three days with the rising water leaving nearly 400,000 people marooned.The Brahmaputra was flowing 131 cm above the danger level at Chilmari point while the Dharla 116 cm above the red mark at the Bridge point, intensifying the woes of the victims.The flood-affected people faced an acute shortage of drinking water, food and fodder. Many were also suffering from water-borne diseases.Hafizur Rahman, acting deputy commissioner of Kurigram district, said the administration has made a fresh allocation of 3 metric tons of rice and Tk 200,000 for the flood victims.In Gaibandha, rail communication of the district with other parts of the country remained suspended since Wednesday noon due to the flood triggered by persistent rain over the past few days.The flood situation has deteriorated in four upazilas of the district and the water of the Brahmaputra was flowing 189 cm above the danger level at noon. Different private and government offices, including DC’s Bungalow, judge home and Police Line areas, went under water.Erosion along the Teesta river in Rangpur’s Kawnia upazila has washed away ancestral homestead of this woman. Photo: Moinul Islam.Railway sources said rail tracks in Badhiakhali went under water snapping rail communications with other parts of the country around 12:00pm.Besides, the vehicular movement stopped on different internal roads as they were submerged by floodwater.An estimated 254,000 families remained marooned by floodwater in the district while 114 shelter centres were opened for the victims, according to information at the district administration.A total of 115 schools in the district town and other upazilas have been declared closed due to the flood.In Bogura, the Jamuna River was flowing 117 cm above the danger level.District relief officer Azahar Ali said so far at least 15 unions of three upazilas have been flooded, inundating 82,380 people of 135 villages.A total of 8,978 hectares of paddy field went under floodwater while 75 educational institutions were shut due to the flood.The district administration distributed 600 metric tons of rice and Tk 800,000 among the flood-hit people.In Sherpur, locals recovered the body of an elderly woman – Asia Begum, 104, wife of Fayez Mia, who remained missing since Sunday night, from Sarikalinagar of Jhenaigati upazila on Tuesday, said duty officer of Jhenaigati police station.So far, three people, including a child, have drowned in floodwater in the past few days.Flood control embankment along the Bhogai river in Nalitabari upazila broke down flooding seven villages anew. The newly flooded villages are Morichpuran, Banskanda, Fakirpara, Kholabhanga, Bhogairpar, Ullarpar and Morichpuran Purbapara.The flood has stranded 30,000 people in 50 villages of the district.In Sirajganj, a 75-metre portion of a ring embankment broke down due to the gushing water of the Jamunar river, flooding seven villages and leaving 700 families marooned in Kazipara upazila.Kazipur upazila nirbahi officer (UNO) Zahid Hasan said the embankment collapsed around 10:00pm on Tuesday.In Rangamati, sixteen spillways of the Kaptai dam were opened on Tuesday night to reduce the pressure of water on the lake.A flooded village in Moulvibazar Sadar’s Khalilpur union. Photo: Prothom AloATM Abijur Zaher, manager of Kaptai hydroelectric power plant, said the spillways and four turbines were releasing 33,000 cusec of (cubic feet per second) water to the Karnaphuli river.The spillways are releasing 9,000 cusec of water. Currently, 167 megawatts of electricity is being produced, he said.The current water level in the lake is 14 feet above that of the normal level, he said.Incessant rain and heavy inflow of water from the upstream pushed up the lake’s water level, inundating low-lying areas of four upazilas of the district.Water from the flood-affected areas has started receding after the spillways were opened.In Moulvibazar, the water level of the Monu, Kushiara and Dholai reduced to some extent but still they were flowing above the danger mark.Several hundred villages in Sadar, Rajnagar and Kamalganj upazilas went under water following breach of protection dams of the rivers, affecting about 50,000 families.Besides, houses, roads and croplands were inundated by the floodwater. On the other hand, floodwater has entered the premises of about 50 educational institutions.Water Development Board (WDB) sources said the Monu was flowing 45 cm below danger level at Monu railway bridge point while 84 cm above the danger mark at Chadnighat point on Tuesday night.The Dholai was flowing 44 cm below while Kushiara at Sherpur point of Moulvibazar was flowing 54 centimeter above danger level.Earlier on Monday, Monu river of Moulvibazar was flowing at 76 cm and 97 cm above danger level at the railway bridge point while the Dholai was flowing 9 cm and the Kushiara 54 cm above danger mark at Sherpur.
Kolkata: Kolkata Police has arrested three teenagers from Ruby Crossing on charges of snatching gold jewellery worth Rs 9 lakh.Besides the gold jewellery, there was Rs 1.10 lakh in cash and a mobile phone in the bag that was snatched away.Police said a jewellery shop owner Rajesh Chandra Pal lodged a complaint with the Survey Park police station on July 31, alleging that his bag was snatched away when he was returning after having closed his shop at Santosh Avenue in South Kolkata. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeHe told the police that two youths came on a motorbike from behind and snatched away the bag. The police have initiated a probe and went through footages of total 18 surveillance cameras in the area. Investigation revealed that there were three youths involved in the crime. A motorbike and a bicycle were used to carry out the same.A civic volunteer posted at the Panchasayar Police Station identified one of the three youths, who is from Mukundapur. The police were keeping a watch on him. They also found him contacting the other two over phone. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThey finally decided to meet at the Ruby Crossing.After meeting, they took a south-bound bus. The police following them. A plain-clothed policeman stopped the bus and arrested those three — Suman De, Bishnu Das and Ranjan Das.The police have recovered the entire gold jewellery. But they have used a major part of the cash to buy two motorbikes and two mobile phones. Around Rs 38,500 cash has been recovered. The motorbike and the bicycle used to commit the crime were also seized.Investigation revealed that they did a recce of the place before executing the plan to know the easy exit route.
Kolkata: Barasat Municipality has started a massive drive against dengue and other mosquitoes-borne diseases round the year as precautionary measures.The Health department of the municipality has undertaken various campaigns to combat dengue and other mosquitoes-borne diseases. It is also organising awareness campaigns at various wards under its jurisdiction urging people to ensure there is no empty cups, broken furniture and other used materials kept on the their rooftop or in nearby areas.A six-member team has already been formed by the Health department of the civic body to constantly monitor the drive.Members of the conservancy team have been visiting houses and examining if the water is accumulated in the flower vases, tray of refrigerators, pots or empty cups inside or around the households. The conservancy team has also been instructed to carry out drive in under construction buildings that often become breeding grounds for mosquitoes.The health workers have been asked to visit individual houses and housing complexes to examine the overhead tanks and underground reservoirs. The owners of individual houses and the housing complexes are being asked to take up the issue immediately, if the reservoirs are not covered properly.Champak Das, Chairman-in-Council (CIC) of the health department at Barasat Municipality said the anti-dengue drive was started from January and will continue throughout the year as a precautionary measure.”Our conservancy team has been carrying out a survey for eight days in a month at each ward where people are urged to be vigilant so that water does not get accumulated in pots. The health workers are also examining the terraces of various houses, empty cups, refrigerators’ trays during their visit to each household. We send the survey reports to the health department on a daily basis,” Das said.Anti-mosquitoe repellents have been sprayed through fogging machines. As many as 11 fogging machines have been procured by the municipality, Das said. He also mentioned that two health centers have been set up at Madhyabaluria and Badu, each having the facility of testing blood samples. Elisa tests are also being conducted at these health centers.No dengue cases have so far been reported from Barasat due to prolonged campaign by the civic authorities. Leaflets are being distributed among people mentioning the Do’s and Dont’s to combat the disease.
Kolkata: Coming down heavily on the BJP government at the Centre, Trinamool Congress MP Derek O’ Brien said on Monday that it is looting the public every day.He said that the people of the country are well aware of this and after 6-7 months they will oust BJP. “Every day the Centre is looting people by increasing the price of petrol and diesel and the people of this country are aware of it. After 6-7 months they will throw BJP out of power in the Lok Sabha polls.” Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeHe said in the past four years, the Centre has increased the excise duty nine times. “It was 3.5% for diesel in 2014 and now it is 15.3 %. The excise duty was Rs 9.48 in 2014 and now it is Rs 19.48.”He alleged that the reduction of 2% central excise was just an eyewash, as a cess was imposed simultaneously. “The common public are at the receiving end. The prices of essential commodities will go up and this is happening when the price of fuel is going down in the international market. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedHe said: “How long can the looting of common people go on? Every day they are being looted.”It may be mentioned that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has always been vocal about the anti-people moves of the Centre, from note ban to the hike in the prices of fuel.Trinamool Congress leaders and workers had worn black badges on August 4 and 5 to protest against the hike in the prices of fuel. Rallies were held in every city upto the block level.It may be mentioned that within 15 minutes after the ban on high value notes was imposed in November 2016, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had criticised it and said it will be a disaster. “The growth of the country will be badly hit,” she had pointed out. She had called the move the “biggest scam”.After her all the well known economists, both from the country and abroad, had echoed her voice. She had also criticised the hasty implementation of GST by the Centre.