Saint Mary’s students will have the opportunity to add to their financial aid package with a new scholarship funded by the Hearst Foundation. The Hearst Foundation, founded by William Randolph Hearst, has donated $60,000 to Saint Mary’s College to benefit students who are academically talented, but also economically disadvantaged. Students who are members of an underrepresented minority will have priority, according to a College press release. “We anticipate the average award per student to be $2,500 each year, which will be added on top of their current financial aid package,” director of financial aid Kathleen Brown said. The Class of 2014 is the first class of students to receive the Hearst scholarship for the 2012-13 academic year. “We anticipate that 12 students overall will receive this award,” Brown said Scholarships will be given the student’s junior year and renewed for senior year. Students must be US citizens, eligible for the Federal Pell Grant Program and ideally majoring in science, math or engineering, according to Brown said. The process of determining this year’s Hearst Scholars is currently being finalized, she said. “The hope is that this scholarship will help students to graduate with less debt,” Brown said. Brown said this scholarship is part of an ongoing goal of providing more aid to eligible students. “Part of [President Carol Ann Mooney’s] last strategic plan was that we provide aid to 100 percent of Pell-eligible students,” Brown said. Emphasis for Hearst Scholar candidates is also put on students of an underrepresented minority, the press release stated. Minorities represented 13.5 percent of total students at Saint Mary’s during the 2011-12 school year, according to Saint Mary’s Institutional Research. Underrepresented minorities currently present at Saint Mary’s include African American, American Indian, Asian, Hispanic and Native Hawaiian. The Hearst Foundation has a strong tie to students with culturally diverse backgrounds. Their mission is to identify and fund outstanding nonprofits to ensure that people of all backgrounds in the United States have the opportunity to build healthy, productive and inspiring lives, according to the Hearst Foundation. Making a Saint Mary’s education affordable to girls with different educational and ethnic backgrounds has also long been a mission of Saint Mary’s, according to the College website. Contact Caroline Rech at email@example.com
More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North10 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa1 day ago45 Murlong Cres, Palm Beach.“About 15 people have said they will be at the auction to compete for the house.”Auctioneer Nigel Long is calling the auction for the 655sq m property on Saturday at 11am.Meanwhile, in Southport at 10am a French, Asian and Indian fusion home has four registered bidders who are ready to battle it out. Harcourts Coastal managing director Dane Atherton will take the four-bedroom home at 15 Skiff St to auction.Oozing style from every corner, the home has red entry doors, stone and pearl basins, checkerboard tiles, white timber shutters and Carrara marble. A castle-like home at 52 Royal Albert Crescent, Sovereign Islands, is set for auction.WHETHER it’s a renovated 60s shack, jaw-dropping stone castle-like residence or a bohemian retreat, the Gold Coast has a home for every taste going under the hammer on Saturday. Corelogic revealed the Gold Coast was the busiest non-capital city region last weekend, with 49 homes going to auction and a clearance rate of 43.6 per cent. Among the 23 properties to be auctioned this weekend, the standout is a Palm Beach creekfront home.The three-bedroom 60s house at 45 Murlong Cres is being offered for sale after homeowners, Ursula and Ben Watts were prompted by their neighbour’s impressive shack sale of $2.55 million last month. 45 Murlong Cres, Palm Beach.Ray White Broadbeach marketing agent Troy Fitzgerald said he had shown 62 groups through the property since it went on the market.“As the only home left on the waterside of Murlong Crescent, it is hot property,” he said.“I’m hoping the weather doesn’t deter crowds.“It directly faces Tallebudgera creek and has a really beautiful outlook to Burleigh Headland.“I have had a mix of people interested, especially boutique developers. 15 Skiff Street SouthportHarcourts Coastal agent Emma Hoger-Jefferies was confident the house would have a sold sign up by lunch time.“It is in a really sought-after pocket of Southport and the home itself has spectacular presentation,” she said. “I would not be surprised if we get a few spectators who sense a good buy.”On the prestigious Sovereign Islands, a castle-like mansion poised on an 815sq m block will go under the hammer at 2.30pm.Italian travertine marble combines with 200 tonnes of stone masonry and a stone turret in the five-bedroom home at 52 Royal Albert Crescent. 52 Royal Albert CrescentRay White marketing agent Edin Kara said the home was “Feng Shui approved”.“The home has been approved by Hong Kong Feng Shui Master, Tinming Yeung,” Mr Mian said.“He said that the house offers tremendous prosperity and wealth.”
Tiger Woods says he has recovered “night and day” from a sore back that hindered his preparations for the now-postponed Masters and misses the Augusta National showdown while quarantined. In an interview released Thursday by Woods sponsor GolfTV, the 15-time major champion said he is cycling more and playing tennis at times to stay fit and his back pain has eased. Tiger Woods says he would have been ready to defend his title at the Masters this week despite back pain that hampered his preparations for the now-postponed event at Augusta National “Night and day. I feel a lot better than I did then. I’ve been able to turn a negative into a positive,” Woods said. “I’ve been able to train a lot. I’ve been able to get my body back to where I think it should be at.” Woods, who says he would have been ready for the Masters this week, skipped last month’s Players Championship with back pain only to watch it be called off after 18 holes due to the coronavirus pandemic. “It’s hard to unwire those circuits now. I feel a little edgy. I want to get out there. I want to compete,” Woods said. “I felt really alive and wired and kind of irritable. I didn’t know what was going on. I realized it was Sunday and I was supposed to be flying up. “Subconsciously, I had already known I was supposed to be getting ready to go to be playing at the Masters this week. My body was ready to go.” Woods is also able to golf near his home at a course open despite the coronavirus pandemic that has pushed back the Masters to November and kept him and his family isolated at home. “I’ve been able to play some golf,” Woods said. “Medalist is still open here. Every course virtually to the south of us is closed but it remains open so it has been nice to go out there and play and hit golf balls a little bit… just get some activity and some peace of mind.” Players can’t touch rakes or flagsticks and carts are only for drivers, but the strange thing for the reigning Masters champion is practicing with no event in mind. “It’s weird practicing with no end goal to get ready for,” Woods said. “Hypothetically it could be this. Hypothectically it could be that. It seems like it changes from day to day. Week to week there’s always something new.” Read Also: Murray, Kerber to play in virtual Madrid Open“But I did take the jacket off. This jacket cannot get cupcake on it.”Woods said dealing with back pain, which led to spinal fusion surgery that enabled him to resume his career, has helped him cope with the enforced waiting he now faces.“To keep all our hopes up every day, sometimes it’s challenging,” Woods said. “I don’t know how long it’s going to work but so far these little mini goals have worked for us.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All Time5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayGorgeous Asian Actresses All Men Are Crazy AboutDiscover How Women From Famous Paintings Looked Like In Real Life6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldTop 10 TV Friends Who Used To Be Enemies – ‘Go from meal to meal’ – Woods, a five-time Masters winner, stages putting contests with son Charlie to decide in whose closet the green jacket will reside. That’s as close as any rival will get to taking it until November. “I guess I’ll be defending then. Hopefully that all comes about,” Woods said. “This is not the way I wanted to keep the jacket for a longer period of time. I wanted to get out there and earn it again like I did in ’02.” Woods has yet to sit down and sort out what his schedule plan might be when play resumes, knowing the virus impact could delay or cancel more events. “The way the schedule looks we’re going to be awfully busy in the fall,” Woods said. “Trying to figure all that out. “I’m going to sit down with my team and figure out what is the best practice schedule, what are the tournaments I should play in to get ready, when should I rest, all of the things that are kind of up in the air. “What I keep telling everyone around here is let’s just go from meal to meal and it will add up.” – Masters menu food fight – On Tuesday, Woods and his family dined on fajitas, sushi and sashimi with milkshakes for desert, the same menu he would have served that night at the Masters Champions Dinner. This one also included cupcakes and a most un-Masters-like closing food fight. “It got a little interesting at the end,” Woods said. “It got a little ugly where icing was flowing across people’s hair and face so we had a little bit of fun at the end.
Syracuse Director of Athletics Mark Coyle is leaving SU after 11 months on the job to take a position at the University of Minnesota, SU confirmed on Wednesday morning. Minnesota announced on Wednesday morning that he was a finalist for its AD position and he will take the position, according to ESPN.Here are three memorable moments from Coyle’s time at Syracuse.MORE COVERAGE:Storify: Syracuse community reacts to AD Mark Coyle’s departureSyracuse University Director of Athletics Mark Coyle leaving for Minnesota Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on May 11, 2016 at 1:58 pm Contact Jon: firstname.lastname@example.org | @jmettus First press conferenceCoyle had the Iocolano-Petty football wing auditorium erupting in applause from the start of his first press conference on June 22 — less than a month before he officially became Syracuse’s director of athletics. He spoke to the media, Board of Trustees, members of SU administration and SU head coaches for about 15 minutes saying, “My expectations are simple. … We’re going to get our degrees, and we’re going to compete for championships. And I want to make sure that we all understand that.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFiring of Scott ShaferCoyle said he’d take time to evaluate the Orange’s football programs and almost exactly four months later, on Nov. 23, he fired head coach Scott Shafer with the team sitting at 3-8 and on an eight-game losing streak. There was still one game left in the season.“Scott has worked tirelessly to educate our students on and off the field and to build our program,” Coyle said in a statement. “However, I feel a change in leadership is needed at this time. A national search will begin immediately.”Hiring of Dino Babers and Babers’ inaugural press conferenceBabers, the former Bowling Green head coach, was hired as head football coach on Dec. 5 and held his opening press conference on Dec. 7. Coyle said Shafer was fired before the end of the season to give more time to find a new coach. He also mentioned that he skipped the basketball team’s trip to the Bahamas to continue searching for a football coach.“We wanted a leader who had a proven track record and a strong commitment to student welfare,” Coyle said in a press release on Dec. 5. “Dino’s background as a former student-athlete combined with his head coaching experience, and dynamic offensive mind make him a great fit for our program. We are committed to building a winning Syracuse Football program and today reinforces that commitment.”“I wanted to make sure we found the best fit for Syracuse football,” he added at the press conference. “And how I define best fit was, simply, I wanted someone with tremendous honesty and integrity. I wanted somebody who would be focused on our students and the welfare of our students. I wanted somebody who was innovative and had an exciting brand of football. And I wanted somebody who had a commitment to winning. And I’m confident we’ve found that person in Coach Babers.” Comments Related Stories Syracuse University Director of Athletics Mark Coyle leaving for MinnesotaStorify: Syracuse community reacts to AD Mark Coyle’s departureSyracuse AD Mark Coyle: ‘We’re going to get our degrees, and we’re going to compete for championships.’5 things Mark Coyle said at Dino Babers’ introductory press conferenceMark Coyle speaks with The Daily Orange in Q&A