MH370 video: Where the aircraft may lie

first_imgThe Australian crash investigator has released the first video animation (below) of the ocean floor where MH370 is believed to lie.The Australian Transport Safety Bureau search teams have now mapped 200,000sq kms of the ocean floor off Perth, Western Australia. Before the new underwater search for MH370 could begin, it was necessary to accurately map the sea floor to ensure that the search is undertaken safely and effectively. Bathymetry survey vessels have spent months, scanning the sea floor with multibeam sonar to gather detailed, high-resolution data. The data has revealed many seabed features for the first time. This computer-animated ‘flythrough’ shows a visualisation of some of the sea floor terrain in the search area.To this time however, only 9000sq km –or 5 per cent – of the ocean floor that has been mapped has been searched by ships towing side-scan sonar looking for wreckage.In fact one ship, the Fugro Equator, continues to conduct bathymetric survey work in the search area.Two ships – the GO Phoenix and Furgo Discovery – are now searching for MH370 with the side-scan sonar which can operate to depths of 6000m.Last month the chief of the world’s largest international airline expressed grave concerns that MH370 will be given up as lost as part of an international cover-up.Tim Clark, President of Emirates, told AirlineRatings.com yesterday that he has been inundated by grieving relatives, and theorists pressuring him to continue the pursuit of the truth.          Read:Airline Chief says MH370 a coverup “Many mathematicians have done extensive calculations and have detailed them in their emails to me,” said Mr Clark. “None believe the current hypothesis.”“We cannot allow MH370 to become a “National Geographic” mystery. “We must get to the truth.”Also last month Australia’s crash investigator dismissed reports that there is disagreement among the expert teams that are calculating the search area for MH370.The Australian Transport Safety Bureau chief commissioner, Martin Dolan, said that there were two priority search areas for MH370 because the five teams had been using differing methodologies to calculate the likely flight paths of the aircraft based on satellite communications data.last_img read more

PG medical students upset at one week stay by CET

first_imgThe Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (CET) cell, through a notification issued early on Tuesday morning, stayed the admission procedure for post-graduate medical courses for seven days and said fresh guidelines would be issued following the Supreme Court order.Mentioning the possibility of changes in the admission schedule keeping in mind petitions before the SC and High Court, the notification said, “Due to the legal issues that have come in the way of the admissions and Maharashtra government’s plan to approach the SC for an extension, the admission procedure has been stayed for a period of 7 days, starting May 13.” This move has been criticised by post-graduate medical applicants from various reserved categories who lashed out at the State government for delaying the admission procedures.Advocate Sriram Pingale, who is representing the Maratha students in the Supreme Court, said he has advised the petitioners to file a review petition for the May 9 verdict that struck down the 16% reservation on PG seats this year. “We will most likely be filing the review petition tomorrow,” he said. While students of the Maratha community called it a confusing notice, students from the open category, Other Backward Classes (OBC), Nomadic Tribes (NT) and Scheduled Caste (SC) and Vimukti Jati (denotified tribes) (VJ) said the postponement was unnecessary.Dr. Samruddhi Shinde (23), a Maratha community applicant for Masters in Dental Surgery, said the CET cell notice was not only confusing but also against their demands. “It states that a request has been made before the SC for an extension. We are clear about our demands, but this decision has brought us no clarity over retainment of our seats and branches. We will not take our protest back till our demands are met,” she said.The applicants from the NT, OBC, SC and open category, on the other hand, questioned the move.“We want reservations to not exceed beyond 50%. The government must follow the SC order of May 9. We are of the opinion that reservations should simply be eliminated from the post-graduate admission process,” Dr. Shrikant Ghugre, an applicant from the NT (3) category, said.Dr. Angad Randive, an open category applicant, said the extension will further delay commencement of the academic year which usually starts by the first week of June. “Now, we have no idea when admissions will finish and when we will begin our courses. The notice says that the government will move SC seeking permission for the extension. We want to know why did they stay when they don’t have the permit?” he asked.State Minister for medical education and water resources, Girish Mahajan, told The Hindu, “Some students have already moved the SC for a review. We will be moving the SC tomorrow seeking permission for an extension of admission in Maharashtra. The students’ immediate problem was that they wanted an extension, as the last date for form filling was May 13. We, therefore, requested for the same.” Meanwhile, Bhalchandra Mungekar, former vice-chancellor of Mumbai University, who met the protesting Maratha students on Tuesday, said the one-week extension will not solve the problem and that procedural lapses and irregularities of the government were to be blamed for the mess. “Without making preparations and taking into account perspectives, the government took the decision due to political exigencies,” he said.last_img read more

Western U.P. split between BJP and SP-BSP-RLD alliance

first_imgWestern Uttar Pradesh proved to be a mixed bag for both the BJP and the Samajwadi Party-Bahujan Samaj Party-Rashtriya Lok Dal alliance. Out of 18 seats in the region, the BJP has taken decisive lead in nine constituencies while the alliance candidates are leading in six. Three could still go either way.The caste arithmetic worked in some places, while in others the BJP’s Hindutva agenda blunted the ‘bua-bhatija’ chemistry. Saharanpur, from where both U.P. Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and the alliance leaders launched their respective campaigns, has voted in favour of the BSP’s Fazlur Rehman who has built a lead of over 23,000 votes over the BJP’s sitting MP, Raghav Lakhanpal. In contrast, Kairana, which had become the symbol of the opposition unity when Tabassum Hasan won the bypoll last year, is supporting the lotus this time. BJP’s Praveen Kumar has built a formidable lead of over 89,000 votes. The sugar bowl of Meerut, Muzaffarnagar and Baghpat is seeing a tough fight between the BJP and the alliance candidates. In Muzaffarnagar, RLD chief Ajit Singh, who made it a prestige fight by calling it his last election, is locked in a close contest with BJP’s sitting MP Sanjeev Balyan who emerged as a formidable Jat leader during the Muzaffarnagar riots.In Baghpat, where Mr. Ajit Singh’s son Jayant Chaudhary is taking on sitting MP Satyapal Singh, fortunes fluctuated the entire day. In Meerut, BJP’s Rajendra Agrawal defeated BSP’s Haji Yakub Qureshi by a small margin of 4,729 votes. In neighbouring Bijnor, BSP’s Malook Nagar is cruising, while in Nagina, BSP’s Girish Chandra has humbled BJP’s sitting MP Yashwant Singh by 1,66,832 votes. In the Moradabad belt, S.T. Hasan has defeated BJP’s Sarvesh Singh.Easy win for Azam KhanAfter all the pre-poll diatribe, SP veteran Azam Khan easily countered the Jaya Prada challenge in Rampur. BSP’s Kunwar Danish Ali’s shift from Karnataka proved fruitful as he won the Amroha seat comfortably. Shafiqur Rehman Barq of the SP is leading in Sambhal.In Ghaziabad and Noida, Union Ministers V.K. Singh and Mahesh Sharma are on their way to cross the winning margins of 2014. The caste chemistry of SP-BSP-RLD did not work in reserved constituencies with both Bulandshahr and Hathras going to the BJP. In Aligarh, Satish Gautam of the BJP has comprehensively defeated BSP’s Ajit Baliyan. The party’s star face Hema Malini is set to win Mathura again and S.P.S. Baghel is retaining Agra for the BJP after initial hiccups.last_img read more

Cheniere Petronas Ink 20Year LNG Purchase Deal

first_imgzoomImage by WMN Cheniere Energy Partners has entered into a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sale and purchase agreement with Petronas LNG, a unit of Malaysian state-owned oil and gas company, Petronas.Under the agreement, Petronas LNG would purchase around 1.1 million tonnes LNG per annum from Cheniere’s subsidiary Sabine Pass Liquefaction on a free on board basis.The deal is for a term of 20 years following the date of first commercial delivery for the sixth natural gas liquefaction train at the Sabine Pass liquefaction project.“This 20-year agreement with Sabine Pass Liquefaction continues our momentum on Train 6, where early engineering, procurement, and site preparation activities have recently commenced ahead of a final investment decision. We expect this SPA to support our continued progress toward a final investment decision in 2019,” Jack Fusco, Chairman, President and CEO of Cheniere Partners, said.The SPA is subject to certain conditions precedent, including but not limited to Sabine Pass Liquefaction making a final investment decision to construct Train 6 of the SPL Project.last_img read more