Click HERE if you’re having trouble viewing the gallery on your mobile device.NAPA — We know Jon Gruden can talk.Now, after a decade away from the sideline, we’re going to find out if he can coach.Gruden held his first full-squad (well, minus Khalil Mack) Training Camp practice in Napa on Friday — the opening salvo to Gruden’s return to the game and quest to restore the Raiders’ to glory. Afterward, he held court. And to Gruden’s credit, he’s fully aware that his hiring is drawing …
The Australian crash investigator has released the first video animation (below) of the ocean floor where MH370 is believed to lie.The Australian Transport Safety Bureau search teams have now mapped 200,000sq kms of the ocean floor off Perth, Western Australia. Before the new underwater search for MH370 could begin, it was necessary to accurately map the sea floor to ensure that the search is undertaken safely and effectively. Bathymetry survey vessels have spent months, scanning the sea floor with multibeam sonar to gather detailed, high-resolution data. The data has revealed many seabed features for the first time. This computer-animated ‘flythrough’ shows a visualisation of some of the sea floor terrain in the search area.To this time however, only 9000sq km –or 5 per cent – of the ocean floor that has been mapped has been searched by ships towing side-scan sonar looking for wreckage.In fact one ship, the Fugro Equator, continues to conduct bathymetric survey work in the search area.Two ships – the GO Phoenix and Furgo Discovery – are now searching for MH370 with the side-scan sonar which can operate to depths of 6000m.Last month the chief of the world’s largest international airline expressed grave concerns that MH370 will be given up as lost as part of an international cover-up.Tim Clark, President of Emirates, told AirlineRatings.com yesterday that he has been inundated by grieving relatives, and theorists pressuring him to continue the pursuit of the truth. Read:Airline Chief says MH370 a coverup “Many mathematicians have done extensive calculations and have detailed them in their emails to me,” said Mr Clark. “None believe the current hypothesis.”“We cannot allow MH370 to become a “National Geographic” mystery. “We must get to the truth.”Also last month Australia’s crash investigator dismissed reports that there is disagreement among the expert teams that are calculating the search area for MH370.The Australian Transport Safety Bureau chief commissioner, Martin Dolan, said that there were two priority search areas for MH370 because the five teams had been using differing methodologies to calculate the likely flight paths of the aircraft based on satellite communications data.
Software giant Adobe has bet big on VR and 360 video with the acquisition of Mettle’s SkyBox VR editing tools.Top image via Shutterstock.Adobe has just announced the acquisition of all SkyBox technology from leading VR tool developer Mettle. The VR tools were originally available from Mettle as plugins for Premiere Pro and After Effects, but this acquisition will enhance the Adobe Creative Cloud by offering the best VR tools natively to all users.Since 2015, the Mettle tools have been the best in creating 360 degree videos. At the most recent NAB, Mettle announced the ability to work with fog, volumetric effect, and depth-based masking in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. It looks like those tools will be the first major changes to the Adobe CC.Mettle has also been a leader in the tutorial space, offering hours of instructional content to 360-video creators. You can even download 360 footage to experiment with.In another great move, Adobe will also hire Mettle co-founder Chris Bobotis as a Director of Professional Video. Chris is an incredibly talented developer who brings twenty-five years of production experience to Adobe.Our relationship started with Adobe in 2010 when we created FreeForm for After Effects, and has been evolving ever since. This is the next big step in our partnershipI’ve always believed in developing software for artists, by artists, and I’m looking forward to bringing new technology and integration that will empower creators with the digital tools they need to bring their creative vision to life. — Chris BobotisMettle will soon no longer offer the SkyBox tools as plugins on their site, and we should see the tools natively in one of the upcoming CC updates.As for the move to Adobe, Chris had the following to say:I am honored to be working with the team at Adobe. I look forward to contributing to the team efforts, moving forward with new tools in immersive media.You can read the full Adobe Press Release here.
The Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (CET) cell, through a notification issued early on Tuesday morning, stayed the admission procedure for post-graduate medical courses for seven days and said fresh guidelines would be issued following the Supreme Court order.Mentioning the possibility of changes in the admission schedule keeping in mind petitions before the SC and High Court, the notification said, “Due to the legal issues that have come in the way of the admissions and Maharashtra government’s plan to approach the SC for an extension, the admission procedure has been stayed for a period of 7 days, starting May 13.” This move has been criticised by post-graduate medical applicants from various reserved categories who lashed out at the State government for delaying the admission procedures.Advocate Sriram Pingale, who is representing the Maratha students in the Supreme Court, said he has advised the petitioners to file a review petition for the May 9 verdict that struck down the 16% reservation on PG seats this year. “We will most likely be filing the review petition tomorrow,” he said. While students of the Maratha community called it a confusing notice, students from the open category, Other Backward Classes (OBC), Nomadic Tribes (NT) and Scheduled Caste (SC) and Vimukti Jati (denotified tribes) (VJ) said the postponement was unnecessary.Dr. Samruddhi Shinde (23), a Maratha community applicant for Masters in Dental Surgery, said the CET cell notice was not only confusing but also against their demands. “It states that a request has been made before the SC for an extension. We are clear about our demands, but this decision has brought us no clarity over retainment of our seats and branches. We will not take our protest back till our demands are met,” she said.The applicants from the NT, OBC, SC and open category, on the other hand, questioned the move.“We want reservations to not exceed beyond 50%. The government must follow the SC order of May 9. We are of the opinion that reservations should simply be eliminated from the post-graduate admission process,” Dr. Shrikant Ghugre, an applicant from the NT (3) category, said.Dr. Angad Randive, an open category applicant, said the extension will further delay commencement of the academic year which usually starts by the first week of June. “Now, we have no idea when admissions will finish and when we will begin our courses. The notice says that the government will move SC seeking permission for the extension. We want to know why did they stay when they don’t have the permit?” he asked.State Minister for medical education and water resources, Girish Mahajan, told The Hindu, “Some students have already moved the SC for a review. We will be moving the SC tomorrow seeking permission for an extension of admission in Maharashtra. The students’ immediate problem was that they wanted an extension, as the last date for form filling was May 13. We, therefore, requested for the same.” Meanwhile, Bhalchandra Mungekar, former vice-chancellor of Mumbai University, who met the protesting Maratha students on Tuesday, said the one-week extension will not solve the problem and that procedural lapses and irregularities of the government were to be blamed for the mess. “Without making preparations and taking into account perspectives, the government took the decision due to political exigencies,” he said.