May 4, 2005 (CIDRAP News ) – With a federal judge’s permission, the US Department of Defense (DoD) has announced it will resume giving anthrax shots to military personnel, but on a strictly voluntary basis.The DoD’s mandatory anthrax immunization program had been suspended since October 2004, when US District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan ruled that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) did not follow proper procedures in approving the vaccine for inhalational anthrax.In January the FDA issued an “emergency use authorization” (EUA) permitting DoD to resume the vaccinations, but only on a voluntary basis. On Apr 6, Sullivan granted a DoD request to resume giving the shots under the terms of the emergency authorization.Yesterday the Pentagon announced it was ready to resume giving anthrax shots. Officials said the vaccinations would mostly be limited to military units assigned to the Central Command area, which includes the Middle East, and to troops serving in Korea and in homeland bioterrorism defense.”The implementing program requires commanders to follow EUA conditions very carefully, providing members of the armed services both education on the program and an option to refuse the vaccination without penalty,” the DoD announcement said.Dr. William Winkenwerder, assistant secretary of defense for health affairs, called the immunization program a “vital protection measure for military personnel, who are at increased risk of exposure to an anthrax attack.”A DoD policy memo about the program says the EUA is scheduled to expire on July 27, less than 3 months away. “At that time, other initiatives may result in resumption of the normal AVIP [Anthrax Vaccine Immunization Program], including mandatory vaccinations for selected personnel,” the memo says. “Alternatively, the EUA may be extended or other direction may be provided.”Perry Bishop, a Pentagon spokesman, said DoD will continue to press for mandatory vaccination, according to an Associated Press report published yesterday.The DoD memo says all personnel eligible for anthrax vaccination must be told they may refuse the shots and will not be punished. Troops must be told they will not be discharged for refusing and they can still be deployed. However, personnel must also be told, “Your military and civilian leaders strongly recommend anthrax vaccination,” the memo states.Personnel will be given a brochure that explains the known and potential benefits and risks of vaccination as well as the alternatives to vaccination.Before Sullivan’s ruling, anthrax shots were mandatory for personnel serving in areas where the risk of anthrax attack was considered high. More than 1.3 million troops had been vaccinated in the program, which began in 1998. But hundreds of troops refused the shots because of concern about side effects, and some were disciplined or discharged from the service.Sullivan’s ruling came in a lawsuit filed by six DoD personnel and civilian contractor employees who objected to the shots. In an initial ruling in December 2003, the judge ordered DoD to stop requiring the shots on the ground that the FDA had never specifically approved the vaccine for inhalational anthrax. The vaccine was originally licensed in 1970.The FDA responded immediately by declaring that the vaccine was safe and effective for all forms of anthrax. Sullivan then lifted his injunction in January 2004. But in his subsequent ruling in October 2004, Sullivan said the FDA had failed to follow its own rules in declaring the vaccine safe for all forms of the disease.Last December, military officials asked the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for emergency authority to resume the vaccination program. Under the Project Bioshield Act of 2004, the FDA, in a declared emergency, can authorize the use of a medical product that has not gained ordinary FDA approval. The FDA then issued the emergency authorization on Jan 27, but said the shots had to be voluntary.The anthrax vaccine used by DoD requires six shots over a period of 18 months, followed by annual boosters. Last November HHS awarded an $877 million contract for a new anthrax vaccine that officials hope will require fewer doses and have fewer side effects, but that vaccine is intended to go in a stockpile for civilian use.See also:May 3 DoD news releaseDoD policy memo
Fried is in the midst of his best season as he recorded his 10th victory Monday and is 10-4 with a 4.08 ERA in 103 2/3 innings pitched.He has 102 strikeouts to just 31 walks on the year.A high school teammate of White Sox starter Lucas Giolito and Cardinals righty Jack Flaherty, Fried had never pitched more than 33 2/3 innings in an MLB season, but this year he has cut down on the walks going from 5.3 per nine innings to 2.7, which helped him stick in the rotation. MLB trade rumors: Here’s who the Yankees could want from teams targeting Clint Frazier The Braves will be without starter Max Fried for at least one start.Fried was placed on the 10-day injured list with a blister on the index finger on his pitching hand, the team announced Tuesday. Bryse Wilson has been recalled to take his spot on the 25-man roster. He will start Tuesday’s game.The #Braves today recalled RHP Bryse Wilson from Triple-A Gwinnett and he will start tonight’s game at Milwaukee. The club placed LHP Max Fried on the 10-day injured list with a blister on his left index finger.— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) July 16, 2019Wilson is 1-0 with a 6.14 ERA in four games (three starts) for the Braves this season. He is 4-7 with a 4.67 ERA at Triple-A Gwinnett. Related News He also has seen an uptick in velocity that has led to a decrease in his hard-contact percentage against. MLB trade rumors: What could it take to land Madison Bumgarner? MLB trade rumors: Here’s who the Tigers could want from teams targeting Matthew Boyd MLB trade rumors: What could Yankees, Astros, Padres offer for Noah Syndergaard?
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Marcus Smart made his feelings about NBA officials clear Thursday night.”If they won’t protect me, I will,” he said. The Celtics guard was highly critical of the officiating crew after Boston’s 108-87 win over the Hornets at the Spectrum Center. Smart’s frustration boiled over in the fourth quarter when he was shoved to the floor by Charlotte forward Miles Bridges, who earned a technical foul following a review, but his complaints went well beyond that push. He claims referees treat him differently than other players.Miles Bridges has a death wish pic.twitter.com/Dv37M1SZ5w— Dan Greenberg (@StoolGreenie) November 8, 2019MORE: Video tribute, standing O for Kemba Walker in his return to Charlotte”I wish they would call the game the right way,” Smart said. “A lot of the calls that they called, I didn’t understand where the fouls were. It just seems like whenever I get the ball and I’m on offense, I can’t get a call. With Bridges pushing, stuff like that — and I told him, I said, ‘If it was me, y’all [would] probably throw me out the game and everything. So either you clear it up, or I will.'”I allowed y’all, I gave y’all the time. Y’all keep telling me, ‘Let us handle it. Let us handle it.’ I’m coming to y’all first, but at some point, as a player, as a man, you’ve got to protect yourself. . . . If that means I’ve got to lose a little bit of money, I’ve got to lose a little bit of money.”Smart found himself in foul trouble midway through the third quarter when he was hit with his fourth and fifth fouls on consecutive possessions. That led to a substitution and a heated exchange between Smart and Celtics coach Brad Stevens as Smart walked toward the bench.Marcus Smart picks up his fifth foul in the third quarter and is still PISSED when he gets pulled 😂 pic.twitter.com/kVSOZUP8xr— ClutchPoints (@ClutchPointsApp) November 8, 2019″At some point, you’ve got to step in and say something as a coach,” Smart said. “But since you won’t, I’ve got to. And I understand from Brad’s standpoint, but at the same time, [from] the player’s standpoint, you’ve got to step in.”The tension didn’t last long, though, as Smart and Stevens smoothed things over during a break in the action. “This is the part about Marcus that I love — his fire, his competitiveness,” Stevens said. “If there’s a moment when he’s upset with us, that’s all part of it. We move on pretty quickly. We’ve been together a long time, and I’ve been yelled at before, and that’s OK. I love him and I trust him, and he’ll get every opportunity.”Smart, who has spent his entire career in Boston since being drafted sixth overall by the team in 2014, brushed off the back-and-forth with Stevens as one of their “little moments” and said that once it’s over, “we go on to the next one.”Both Smart and Stevens understand these incidents can happen with such a fiery player. Smart’s impact and contributions to winning usually outweigh the occasional outburst. Look no further than a typically Smart stat line from Thursday’s game: six points, five assists, two rebounds, two steals and and a plus-10 in 22 minutes. Unfortunately for Smart, the NBA may not be nearly as forgiving as Stevens.”I don’t back down from any challenge,” Smart said. “Like I said, if I have to lose a bit of money to show that and prove, to protect myself, then I’m just going to have to lose a little bit of money.”