Jun 25, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today confirmed two H5N1 avian influenza cases, one in a 4-year-old Egyptian boy and the other in a 3-year-old Indonesian girl.The boy is from Qena governorate in southern Egypt. He got sick on Jun 20 and was admitted to the hospital the next day, where he is in stable condition, according to a WHO statement.He is Egypt’s 37th H5N1 case-patient; 15 cases have been fatal. Egypt’s last two confirmed H5N1 cases, both in children, also occurred in Qena governorate.Initial investigation indicates that the boy was exposed to dead poultry, the WHO said. The test results were confirmed by Egypt’s health ministry, the country’s Central Public Health Laboratory, and US Naval Medical Research Unit 3 (NAMRU-3), which is a WHO reference laboratory.The Indonesian girl, from Riau province in central Sumatra, fell ill on Jun 18 and has since recovered, the WHO said. The source of her infection appears to be exposure to sick and dead poultry, the WHO said. Indonesia now has had 101 cases with 80 deaths.Azizman Daad, the avian flu team leader at a hospital in the Riau capital of Pekanbaru, said the girl was treated with oseltamivir (Tamiflu) as soon as she was admitted, Agence-France Presse (AFP) reported on Jun 23. She was to remain in the hospital for a week of observation, the report said.The two new cases boost the WHO’s global H5N1 total to 315 cases, with the number of deaths remaining at 191.See also: Jun 25 WHO statement on Egyptian patientJun 25 WHO statement on Indonesian patient
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
FILE PHOTOAbidjan, Ivory Coast | AFP | The Ivorian Football Federation (FIF) appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the decision to strip the country of the 2021 African Cup of Nations on Thursday.The Confederation of African Football took the 2019 tournament from Cameroon due to delays in preparations and offered it the 2021 finals, which had already been awarded to the Ivory Coast.“The FIF was surprised to learn that the president of CAF (Ahmad Ahmad) decided on his own authority, without any prior consultation … to reassign the 2021 edition, which was entrusted until then to the Ivory Coast, to Cameroon,” the FIF said in a statement. “The preparation and work required to organise this great competition, which is particularly important for all Ivorian football and the Ivory Coast, constitutes important economic, financial and human investment.”Ahmad has indicated that the Ivory Coast has now been offered the hosting rights for 2023.Share on: WhatsApp
Boca Raton resident Naomi Osaka, two-time Grand Slam champion and currently the world’s third-ranked tennis player, is giving up her U.S. citizenship in order to represent Japan in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.Osaka, who is of Japanese and Haitian descent, was born in Japan before she and her family moved to South Florida in 2006 from New York, where they had lived since 2000.According to Japan’s Nationality Act, individuals who hold dual citizenship are required to choose one nationality before their 22nd birthday. Osaka turns 22 this Wednesday.She says, “It is a special feeling to aim for the Olympics as a representative of Japan. I think it will be more emotional to play for the pride of the country.”Osaka already represents Japan in the Fed Cup and on the WTA Tour. Most recently, she surged past Ashleigh Barty, winning the 2019 China Open.She also became the first Japanese player to win a major after defeated Serena Williams in last year’s U.S. Open final, before earning her second Grand Slam tournament win at the 2019 Australian Open.The Olympic Channel reports that Osaka will only be permitted to represent Japan next year if she plays for that country in at least one more national tennis competition organized by the International Tennis Federation.
In this April 12, 2012, file photo, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero talks with reporters as the NHL hockey team cleared out their locker room at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Pittsburgh Penguins fired general manager Ray Shero on Friday while the status of coach Dan Bylsma will be evaluated.Team co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle said it was time to take the franchise in a new direction after the team’s latest playoff flameout. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference semifinals this week.Assistant general manager Jason Botterill will serve as general manager on an interim basis while the team searches for Shero’s replacement.The Penguins rolled to the Metropolitan Division title this season but failed yet again to produce a bookend to the championship they won with stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in 2009. Pittsburgh is just 4-5 in playoff series since raising the Stanley Cup after blowing a 3-1 series lead against New York.“We share the disappointment of our fans that we have not had success in the playoffs over the past five seasons,” Lemieux and Burkle said in a joint statement. “We believe that new leadership in the general manager’s office will bring a new approach and new energy, and help us return to championship form.”Penguins President and CEO David Morehouse didn’t blame the 51-year-old Shero’s ouster on one specific failure.“This is a decision that’s been in the works for a long time since we’ve won the Cup,” Morehouse said. “We wanted to get back to the Stanley Cup finals and we haven’t and we’re going to make some changes.”The Penguins hired Shero in 2006 and tasked him with building a foundation around Crosby that could turn Pittsburgh into a dynasty. The Penguins reached the finals in 2008 and won it all the following season thanks in part to Shero’s ability to find the right supporting cast to build around Crosby and Malkin’s otherworldly offensive talent.Shero remained aggressive in investing in a “win now” mode as the ensuing disappointments piled up. He wasn’t afraid to go “all in” as he put it last year after trading for Jarome Iginla, Jussi Jokinen, Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray at the deadline. The moves often created headlines but little else, and splashy moves and a sellout streak seven years and counting proved no longer enough for Shero to keep his job.Morehouse believes Shero’s replacement won’t need to make an overhaul. It’s why the team started what will be a busy offseason by focusing on who will call the shots, not take them.“What we wanted to do first is address the situation at the top and the leader of the organization is the general manager,” Morehouse said. “It’s not a complete rebuild. This is a team that has had a level of success. What we’re trying to do now is get from good to great.”Whether Bylsma will be along for the ride remains unclear.The affable, open-minded Michigan native was a revelation when the Penguins promoted him from their American Hockey League affiliate in the spring of 2009, hoping his optimism would help a loaded team break out of a midseason funk.It worked brilliantly. Four months after taking the job, the former NHL nomad who spent nine seasons as a gritty fourth-line forward was raising the Cup in triumph. Considering Crosby and Malkin were both in their early 20s at the time, more parades were expected.Five years later, the wait continues. While Pittsburgh enjoyed nearly unparalleled success in the regular season – including easily capturing a division title this year despite losing more than 500-man games to injury – the Penguins again struggled to adapt in the postseason.Morehouse said the new general manager will determine whether Bylsma and the rest of the stack gets another shot. The 43-year-old Bylsma has two years remaining on his contract, the product of an extension he received last June as a vote of confidence from Shero following a four-game sweep at the hands of Boston in the Eastern Conference semifinals.The extension came with a promise to adopt a more defensive-minded approach. The Penguins even brought in longtime NHL coach Jacques Martin as an assistant, an old-school yin to Bylsma’s new-school yang.It led to a similar destination: the Penguins watching the final stages of the two-month slog to the Cup go on without them. Now they’ll try to get back to the top with a new architect.“A lot of teams would like to be where we are,” Morehouse said. “However we do have high expectations and we do want to get to them.”