Meet Us at SMM in Hamburg

first_imgzoomImage by WMN In just one week, the Who’s Who of the maritime industry will meet in Hamburg, Germany for the biennial SMM maritime trade fair, taking place on September 4 – 7, 2018.SMM will open its gates next week to welcome 2,289 exhibitors and around 50,000 visitors from more than 124 countries, displaying and discussing the latest developments in maritime technology. The four-day event is preceded by an inaugural international conference, the Maritime Future Summit (MFS), on September 3, 2018, one day before the exhibition opens.Under the motto of “Trends in SMMart Shipping”, the event will occupy 13 exhibition halls of Hamburg Messe und Congress (HMC) and focus on all the top items on the industry’s agenda.For the first time there will also be a special exhibition on 3D-printing for the maritime industry, as well as a new theme route for the Cruise & Ferry segment. A comprehensive conference programme will accompany the four-day fair, with Smart Shipping and Industry 4.0 taking center stage.As appropriate for the age of the digital revolution and the maritime energy turnaround, this year’s SMM will put its main emphasis on digitalisation and the environment.Novelties at the event will include 3D printing, Cruise & Ferry Route, future-looking topics, cybersecurity, job exchange, new countries and ship-owning companies with the TradeWinds Shipowners Forum taking place at SMM for the first time.World Maritime News team will also be attending this year’s SMM event. For more information please contact:Dzenita Cama, WMN Account Manager, dzc@navingo.com and Erna Penjic, WMN Editor, ep@navingo.com.last_img read more

Mother accused of violating injunction tells court she was supporting sons wish

first_imgAnnette Hollett testified Thursday that she went to a Muskrat Falls protest in Oct. 2016 because her 12-year-old son said he wanted to stand up for his culture. Editor’s Note: As a journalist with the online publication theIndependent.ca, Justin Brake followed the land protectors onto the Muskrat Falls site and workers accomodations complex and covered the duration of the occupation. He is facing criminal and civil charges from the event.Justin BrakeAPTN NewsA Métis woman who lives in Labrador told a judge Thursday that when she went through the gates and briefly joined the occupation of the Muskrat Falls site in October 2016, she was doing it for her 12-year-old son.Annette Hollett, who moved to Labrador from Alberta 15 years ago, is one of more than a dozen land protectors in provincial Supreme Court in Happy Valley-Goose Bay this week defending themselves against charges of violating a court injunction in the course of resisting the controversial hydroelectric project in Central Labrador.Despite living with post traumatic stress disorder and social anxiety, she recalled in her testimony, Hollett took her son, who is Inuit, to the peace camp across the Trans Labrador Highway from the main entrance to the Muskrat Falls site, where upward of 200 people were gathered that day.“My son asked to go to stand up for his beliefs,” Hollett told APTN in an interview following her testimony, referring to the Oct. 22, 2016 Indigenous-led protest outside the Muskrat Falls site, which led to an occupation of the project’s accommodations complex.“He was born here so he wanted to fight for what he thought was his rights. And I’m his parent, so I supported him.”With just one day left in the scheduled week-long hearings only three land protectors have testified, while a dozen remain. Earlier in the week APTN reported that 17 land protectors were pleading not guilty but learned today that two changed their pleas and won’t appear in court this week.Nalcor Energy, the provincial crown energy corporation building the dam, was granted an injunction on Oct. 16, 2016 amid an ongoing blockade of the Muskrat Falls site by land protectors.The following day RCMP arrested several land protectors and ended the blockade. But a few days later, amid growing resistance to the project ahead of anticipated reservoir flooding and projected methylmercury contamination of traditional foods, dozens of people reinstated the blockade.Days later, on Oct. 22, about 50 land protectors went through the project’s main access gate and occupied the worker’s accommodations complex for four days.Most of those on trial this week are facing charges related to the occupation, while others are accused of breaching the injunction during protests and ceremonies carried out in late 2016 and early to mid 2017.Mark Gruchy, the lawyer representing land protectors, called Hollett, Kim Campbell-McLean and Linda Saunders-McLean to testify.Nalcor attorney Chris King cross-examined the land protectors, using video evidence from media and security workers on site in an attempt to prove that the women knew of the injunction and knowingly contravened it, or ought to have known.The three women all testified they weren’t aware of the injunction at the time a lock on the Muskrat Falls gate was cut, after which they, and dozens of others, flooded through and on to the site.Saunders-McLean, an Inuk social worker who works with Indigenous children, told the court she encountered many security personnel and other workers on the site, and that none of them told her she and the others were breaking the law.Linda Saunders-McLean said in court Thursday that she doesn’t “think anyone owns a piece of land and can destroy it to the extent it’s destroyed.” Justin Brake/APTN photo.During her cross-examination Saunders-McLean got emotional, in one instance while explaining her mother recently passed away, and in another while recalling the destruction she saw while walking more than 11 kilometres down the access road to the worker’s camp on Oct. 22.“I don’t think anyone owns a piece of land and can destroy it to the extent it’s destroyed,” she said, as she began to cry,Justice George Murphy, who granted Nalcor the injunction two years ago, offered Saunders-McLean to take a break.She chose to continue.“When I walked into that camp and I saw all the destruction, and all these buildings, these temporary structures, it was devastating. I almost threw up, what I saw, because I just think about what had to happen in order to place these buildings there — all the animals, all the wildlife, all the fish.”Breaking free from King’s line of questioning for a moment, the mother and grandmother identified what she thought was an unfair contradiction between the legal system and her Indigenous values.“I know that you guys are taking us and holding us accountable for what we did, but who’s holding you guys accountable for what you’re doing?” she told King. “The flooding. The wildlife. Who’s going to speak for them?”Campbell-McLean, who told the court she was born into a Mi’kmaq family in Newfoundland but was adopted into an Inuit family in North West River when she was five months old, is the Executive Director of the AnanauKatiget Tumingit Regional Association, a not-for-profit organization that helps women in violent relationships.She testified Thursday that she attended the Oct. 22 protest outside the Muskrat Falls site “because that’s where I needed to be.”Asked by Gruchy why she went through the project’s main entry gate, an emotional Campbell-McLean told the court, “I have two children in heaven, but I still have my motherly instincts.”Though the 41-year-old no longer has children of her own, she told the court she’s helping teach her disabled niece Inuit customs such as fishing and preparing traditional foods.“She loves, loves, loves salmon, trout and smelt — it’s her favourite food,” she said.“I want her to have what I had, which was the best Labrador cultural Inuit life. I have never ever had any better life anywhere else in this whole country or this world. I have connections with the land, the water, the animals, our plants — and my niece is getting that connection through me. She needs to have that as an Inuit child. She needs to grow up knowing where her people came from, what they went through to get here, and she needs to be able to provide for her own self through the provision of country foods. That is why I went through the gate.”King questioned whether Campbell-McLean knew of the injunction and willfully went on site despite it.He suggested she was trespassing, to which Campbell-McLean responded, “I assumed I was trespassing.”He also showed evidence of Campbell-McLean at a demonstration outside the main gate about a month after the occupation, during which she was among a group of people who King argued were blocking access to the site.In the video Campbell-McLean could be seen stepping away from a security vehicle as it approached. She argued she wasn’t among those blocking access to the site because she moved away when she saw the vehicle coming.Gruchy told APTN earlier this week that the accusations against his clients of civil contempt for violating a court order would be substantiated if Nalcor could prove each of the land protectors were aware of the injunction, and that they deliberately violated it.The St. John’s-based lawyer also said his “objective is to get people to the other end [of the litigation] with as minimal damage as possible, while attempting to utilize this process to maximize their voices in the process, which they haven’t had much of.”Land protectors occupied the Muskrat Falls worker’s camp two years ago this week. Many are still defending themselves in court against civil and criminal charges for allegedly violating an injunction. Justin Brake/APTN photo.Hollett told the court Thursday that the day the gate was opened at Muskrat Falls her son went through before her, so she followed.During her testimony and in her interview with APTN Hollett said it was part way down the 12 kilometre road to the Muskrat Falls worker’s camp she decided she wanted to join the fight.“As I was walking I heard people express their concerns and I realized I had the same concerns,” she said. “If they’re not going to take my 12-year-old son seriously, maybe they will take me seriously.”She said she used to take her son to the cabin every Friday after school, but that lately they don’t spend as much time on the land because of the risks associated with methylmercury due to Muskrat Falls.“Is it going to be safe to go out and hunt and do what we usually enjoy? Some people look at it as a way of life — and are they going to be able to continue that way of life?” she said.Land protectors will continue their testimonies Friday in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. But the defense isn’t likely to wrap up before the end of the day, so further court dates will likely be scheduled in the near future.jbrake@aptn.ca@JustinBrakeNewslast_img read more

TT Mayor gets key to St Anns

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppJamaica, August 15, 2017 – Montego Bay – Chairman of the Mayaro Rio Claro Regional Corporation in Trinidad and Tobago, Mayor Glen Ram, was on August 11 bestowed with the Key to St. Ann’s Bay, the capital town of St. Ann.  Mayor of St. Ann’s Bay, Michael Belnavis, made the presentation following a special meeting at the St. Ann Municipal Corporation.He said the “Key is a symbol of the friendship we have formed and also a token of the wonderful hospitality we are known for here in the ‘Garden Parish’ of St. Ann”.Mayor Belnavis said the Corporation is looking forward to working with local government colleagues in the twin-island republic “to do some wonderful things”.“I can see us doing some twinning as it relates to St. Ann and our rich history. We will certainly explore the areas of interest… on things that will be beneficial to us and also the people of Trinidad and Tobago. In this era of strong Caribbean integration, cooperation on all fronts is extremely necessary,” he pointed out.While in St. Ann, Mayor Ram visited the statue of National Hero Marcus Garvey and the St. Ann’s Bay Library, and toured the Mystic Mountain attraction, among other activities.The Mayor arrived in the island on August 9 for a five-day visit as guest of the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development to observe the country’s local government reform processes.He met with Portfolio Minister, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, the mayors of Kingston and St. Ann’s Bay and representatives of the Social Development Commission (SDC).  He also visited the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM).“That is a very professional and efficient organisation. It was a wonderful visit and one that showed me how well Jamaica is prepared to handle natural disasters,” he said.Mayor Ram had high praises for the Ministry, which he described as “wonderful hosts”.  He said that there are many similarities between Jamaica and Trinidad, noting that they are “probably the leaders as it relates to local government”.He contended that the countries could pave the way for the creation of a Caribbean Local Government Association.   “This, I believe, would be very effective and could play a valuable role in the region where local governance is concerned,” Mayor Ram said.last_img read more

POLICE LOG for June 13 Car Stolen Guns Found Large Tree Branch

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Here are highlights from the Wilmington Police Log for Wednesday, June 13, 2018:A gray 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor struck a pole at Middlesex Avenue and High Street. No injuries noted. Vehicle towed. RMLD notified. (6:15am)Dog Park was temporarily closed allow DPW to work in it. Animal Control Officer on standby. (7:28am)Animal Control Officer held raccoon escape from dumpster on Main Street. (11:07am)A resident reported a larceny from her apartment earlier in the morning. (2:59pm)A CareOne Manager requested officer take a report of an allegation made by a resident. (4:07pm)Police received report of multiple kids fighting in the grass area by Ristuccia Arena. Fight was broke up. (4:19pm)A resident recently purchased a home and just found a collection of shotguns/riffles. She does not feel comfortable handling them and asked they be removed. (6:05pm)A walk-in party reported her white 2011 Honda CRV from Metro at Wilmington Station on Burlington Avenue. Police entered vehicle into NCIC. A BOLO was put out. Gloucester Police located vehicle at their hospital, unattended. (8:36pm)A juvenile caller reported an argument with his stepfather regarding a video game. Police responded. (10:15pm)A Woburn Street caller reported her mailbox was struck by a vehicle 3 minutes ago. Police unable to locate. (10:27pm)A large tree branch fell on top of a  vehicle at Nichols Street and Fairmeadow Road. Vehicle towed. Road temporarily closed. DPW notified. (10:36pm)(DISCLAIMER: This information is public information.  An arrest does not constitute a conviction.  Any arrested person is innocent until proven guilty.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip?Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedPOLICE LOG for August 22: Evicted Tenant Leaves Behind Cat; Driver Issued Summons; Kids Playing Ding Dong DitchIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for June 6: Women Fighting Or Just Watching The Bruins?; Package Stolen From Porch; Coyote SightingIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for September 5: Train Conductor Helps Locate Missing Puppy; Rented Trucks Not Returned To UHaulIn “Police Log”last_img read more

Goways free flights the Northern Territory and 100 agent incentive

first_imgGoway’s free flights the Northern Territory and $100 agent incentive Tags: Agent Incentives, Australia, Goway Travel, Northern Territory Tourism << Previous PostNext Post >> TORONTO — Goway Travel together with Northern Territory Tourism is offering free, one-way domestic flights to or from Australia’s Northern Territory, along with a $100 agent incentive.The flight deal is available with any new Qantas airfare and land vacation booking to Australia through Goway.The tour operator says there are two ways to take advantage of the offer.“Your clients can purchase one of three special packages (www.goway.com/flyfree), on which they will enjoy a free one way flight between Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney to Darwin, Alice Springs, or Ayers Rock, for a saving of up to CA$360 per couple,” says Goway.“Alternatively, let Goway customize the perfect Northern Territory vacation for you. Simply ask for a custom quote [and] mention the FLY FREE offer.”Bookings must include roundtrip international airfares with Qantas Airways from North America and at least four nights in the Northern Territory. The deal is valid for travel completed by Dec. 31 and must be booked by July 31.More news:  Flight Centre Travel Group takes full ownership of Quebec-based agencyPlus, Goway is reminding agents that any new booking that includes international airfares from North America and at least four nights in the Northern Territory is eligible for a $100 gift card for the booking agent. This incentive is valid for bookings made prior to July 1 and is limited to one incentive per booking.For more information on free flight promotion visit goway.com/flyfree. Full details of the agent incentive are available at gowayagent.com. Travelweek Group center_img Posted by Share Tuesday, June 5, 2018 last_img read more