Jun 25, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today confirmed two H5N1 avian influenza cases, one in a 4-year-old Egyptian boy and the other in a 3-year-old Indonesian girl.The boy is from Qena governorate in southern Egypt. He got sick on Jun 20 and was admitted to the hospital the next day, where he is in stable condition, according to a WHO statement.He is Egypt’s 37th H5N1 case-patient; 15 cases have been fatal. Egypt’s last two confirmed H5N1 cases, both in children, also occurred in Qena governorate.Initial investigation indicates that the boy was exposed to dead poultry, the WHO said. The test results were confirmed by Egypt’s health ministry, the country’s Central Public Health Laboratory, and US Naval Medical Research Unit 3 (NAMRU-3), which is a WHO reference laboratory.The Indonesian girl, from Riau province in central Sumatra, fell ill on Jun 18 and has since recovered, the WHO said. The source of her infection appears to be exposure to sick and dead poultry, the WHO said. Indonesia now has had 101 cases with 80 deaths.Azizman Daad, the avian flu team leader at a hospital in the Riau capital of Pekanbaru, said the girl was treated with oseltamivir (Tamiflu) as soon as she was admitted, Agence-France Presse (AFP) reported on Jun 23. She was to remain in the hospital for a week of observation, the report said.The two new cases boost the WHO’s global H5N1 total to 315 cases, with the number of deaths remaining at 191.See also: Jun 25 WHO statement on Egyptian patientJun 25 WHO statement on Indonesian patient
President Rodrigo Duterte is finalizing a list of Bureau of Immigration officials he will dismiss for their alleged involvement in the “pastillas” scheme at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. PCOO President Duterte have recently orderedthe relief of around 19 BI personnel after receiving reports and findingprobable cause to remove them from the bureau due to their supposed unlawfulmoney-making activity./PN Presidential spokesperson SalvadorPanelo said Duterte gave Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente an opportunityto address the corruption issues in the agency following the discovery of theso-called “pastillas” scheme in airport terminals. “I think I have to complete the list ofofficials that I’m going to fire, to dismiss from the Bureau of Immigration,”Duterte said. “Ayaw ko kasi ‘yung iba kilalako. Kaya lang ‘yung iba ko mga brod ko.Iyong iba were with me in ‘88 when Ifirst ran for the mayorship.” MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte isfinalizing a list of Bureau of Immigration (BI) officials he will dismiss fortheir alleged involvement in the “pastillas” scheme at the Ninoy AquinoInternational Airport (NAIA). Firing “fraternity brothers” werenothing new to President Duterte after he previously sacked Al Argosino andMichael Robles, both associate commissioners of the BI, who were accused ofextorting P50 million from Jack Lam for the release of Chinese nationalsworking for the gaming tycoon’s casino in Pampanga. Under the pastillas scheme, Chinesenationals would pay thousands of pesos as bribe to be allowed entry into thecountry without going through the usual process. Duterte aired his frustration onTuesday, saying some of the officials on his list were his fraternity brothers. “Both Argosino and Robles were myfraternity brothers, they helped me in my election campaign,” the ChiefExecutive said.
Coats supported legislation to block an EPA regulation Wednesday.WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Dan Coats (R-Ind.) today supported legislation to block an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulation that would set the ground-level ozone standard to an unprecedented low level.“The EPA’s unceasing campaign to implement job-killing regulations has reached a new low, literally,” said Coats.“This proposed regulation would tighten required air quality compliance standards across the board while disregarding economic impact and the significant environmental investments already made by Hoosier businesses. I will not stand idly by while the Obama Administration issues job-killing regulations that will strangle Indiana’s economy.”Coats is an original cosponsor of the Clean Air, Strong Economies (CASE) Act, which would require the EPA to focus on the worst areas for air quality before lowering the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for ground-level ozone across the country. Introduced by Senator John Thune (R-N.D.), the legislation is cosponsored by Coats and eight other senators.
LONDON: On the first anniversary of England’s maiden ODI World Cup triumph, skipper Eoin Morgan recalled a fleeting moment when he felt that his team was ‘dead and buried’ against New Zealand on that evening at the Lord’s.Twelve months ago on this day, England had claimed the 50 over World Cup title after beating New Zealand by virtue of a contentious boundary count-back rule as scores were tied even after the super over. It was arguably one of the the greatest finals in the Cup history. “There’s only one (moment of doubt) for me and it probably came to me the second time I watched it. Jimmy Neesham’s bowling to Ben (Stokes) , he bowls a slower ball, Ben (Stokes) hits it down to long-on and I remember the ball being in the air …,” Morgan was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo. “And it’s gone high and not quite as long as he’d liked and for a minute I just thought ‘That’s it, it’s over, Ben’s out, we still need 15 an over’ – that’s when I thought for a split second we were dead and buried.” In that marathon final, New Zealand had scored 241 for 8 after batting first. They then returned to bowl out England for exactly the same score, thus pushing the match into a super over. However, the Super Over also ended in a tie when New Zealand ended up scoring exactly 15 following Martin Guptill’s run out on the final ball. England (26) on the basis of a higher boundary count were declared winners against New Zealand (17). The 33-year-old Morgan, who has scored 7368 runs in 236 ODIs for England so far, said that World Cup final was ‘actually bigger than cricket’. “The final is actually, it’s bigger than cricket,” said Morgan, who managed to watch the final three times now during this coronavirus-forced lockdown. “It’s actually propelled up as one of the highlights of a sporting day ever in British history that will be around for a very long time so it was probably more satisfying that it will continue to be like that.” Morgan has now shifted his focus on topping this achievement by claiming the two T20 World Cups lined up in Australia and India. “There hasn’t been a team who have held T20 and 50-over World Cups so that would be a nice challenge,” he said. “But, realistically, probably out of the next two World Cups, winning one of them would be unbelievable. To win two would be a bigger achievement than winning the 50-over World Cup.” “Just because both of them are away from home and would favour Australia in Australia and India in India, so you would have to win both of them to top the 50-overs win.” New Zealand vice-captain Tom Latham, however, said it has been difficult to accept the defeat. “I don’t think so,” Latham told ‘Newshub’ when asked if he’ll ever get over the outcome. “You have so many conversations about. It will be a game that will be talked about for many years to come. “It was a great game to be involved in – all the twists and turns and amazing atmosphere – but the result was hard to take.” Kiwi pacer Matt Henry said it still hurts to end up on the losing side despite their best efforts. “It hurts a lot, not being able to cross the line and lift the trophy, but at the same time, you have to recognise how good a side England are and it was just their time to lift the trophy that day. “It just wasn’t meant to be our day, but as a Black Cap, it was certainly a time to be extremely proud of.”Agencies Also watch: Unable to Make Ends Meet, Uber Driver Turns Vegetable Vendor
In this April 12, 2012, file photo, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero talks with reporters as the NHL hockey team cleared out their locker room at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Pittsburgh Penguins fired general manager Ray Shero on Friday while the status of coach Dan Bylsma will be evaluated.Team co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle said it was time to take the franchise in a new direction after the team’s latest playoff flameout. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference semifinals this week.Assistant general manager Jason Botterill will serve as general manager on an interim basis while the team searches for Shero’s replacement.The Penguins rolled to the Metropolitan Division title this season but failed yet again to produce a bookend to the championship they won with stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in 2009. Pittsburgh is just 4-5 in playoff series since raising the Stanley Cup after blowing a 3-1 series lead against New York.“We share the disappointment of our fans that we have not had success in the playoffs over the past five seasons,” Lemieux and Burkle said in a joint statement. “We believe that new leadership in the general manager’s office will bring a new approach and new energy, and help us return to championship form.”Penguins President and CEO David Morehouse didn’t blame the 51-year-old Shero’s ouster on one specific failure.“This is a decision that’s been in the works for a long time since we’ve won the Cup,” Morehouse said. “We wanted to get back to the Stanley Cup finals and we haven’t and we’re going to make some changes.”The Penguins hired Shero in 2006 and tasked him with building a foundation around Crosby that could turn Pittsburgh into a dynasty. The Penguins reached the finals in 2008 and won it all the following season thanks in part to Shero’s ability to find the right supporting cast to build around Crosby and Malkin’s otherworldly offensive talent.Shero remained aggressive in investing in a “win now” mode as the ensuing disappointments piled up. He wasn’t afraid to go “all in” as he put it last year after trading for Jarome Iginla, Jussi Jokinen, Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray at the deadline. The moves often created headlines but little else, and splashy moves and a sellout streak seven years and counting proved no longer enough for Shero to keep his job.Morehouse believes Shero’s replacement won’t need to make an overhaul. It’s why the team started what will be a busy offseason by focusing on who will call the shots, not take them.“What we wanted to do first is address the situation at the top and the leader of the organization is the general manager,” Morehouse said. “It’s not a complete rebuild. This is a team that has had a level of success. What we’re trying to do now is get from good to great.”Whether Bylsma will be along for the ride remains unclear.The affable, open-minded Michigan native was a revelation when the Penguins promoted him from their American Hockey League affiliate in the spring of 2009, hoping his optimism would help a loaded team break out of a midseason funk.It worked brilliantly. Four months after taking the job, the former NHL nomad who spent nine seasons as a gritty fourth-line forward was raising the Cup in triumph. Considering Crosby and Malkin were both in their early 20s at the time, more parades were expected.Five years later, the wait continues. While Pittsburgh enjoyed nearly unparalleled success in the regular season – including easily capturing a division title this year despite losing more than 500-man games to injury – the Penguins again struggled to adapt in the postseason.Morehouse said the new general manager will determine whether Bylsma and the rest of the stack gets another shot. The 43-year-old Bylsma has two years remaining on his contract, the product of an extension he received last June as a vote of confidence from Shero following a four-game sweep at the hands of Boston in the Eastern Conference semifinals.The extension came with a promise to adopt a more defensive-minded approach. The Penguins even brought in longtime NHL coach Jacques Martin as an assistant, an old-school yin to Bylsma’s new-school yang.It led to a similar destination: the Penguins watching the final stages of the two-month slog to the Cup go on without them. Now they’ll try to get back to the top with a new architect.“A lot of teams would like to be where we are,” Morehouse said. “However we do have high expectations and we do want to get to them.”
Facebook42Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Thurston County Health & Public ServicesNew parents are often on the lookout for ways to keep their new little one safe and healthy. It might be learning about an app for their phone to keep important information at their fingertips, or understanding which are the best car seats, and how to securely fasten them into the safest place in their car. They may be looking up the recommended way for their baby to sleep to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), or exploring the best way to feed their little pumpkin to keep baby happy and growing well. Many new parents, however, may not realize why keeping a baby’s mouth healthy is such an important part of a child’s overall health, or how to keep their child’s first teeth growing strong and healthy.A baby’s first tooth will usually emerge between 6-12 months of age. Most parents recognize the signs of teething long before that first tooth erupts; their little one drools, chews on everything and may be very cranky. Those first 20 teeth will all be in place around the little one’s third birthday. Baby teeth are important because they:Help a child chew nutritious food to grow strongAllow for correct speech and pronunciation of wordsEnsure proper placement in the gums of adult teeth laterBaby teeth need to be protected and well cared for until they are ready to come out around the age of six. Cavities can occur in baby teeth and be painful. They may make it difficult for children to eat, sleep and learn. Baby teeth also need to be protected because cavities in baby teeth can spread to adult teeth.Children should have an oral health screening by age one.To find a dentist for your child or yourself visit www.TheMightyMouth.org/schedule, and to get more information on good oral health, be sure to visit the American Dental Association’s website: www.mouthhealthy.org.Caring for baby teeth is simple. Even before there are signs of that first tooth, a daily routine of wiping baby’s gums with a wet washcloth is all that’s needed to remove bacteria and will begin to set the stage for a lifetime of good oral healthcare. Once baby’s teeth begin to come in, a soft toothbrush with a rice-sized dab of fluoride toothpaste can be used to gently brush them twice a day. Around age 3, that daily bit of fluoride toothpaste should be about the size of a pea. Parents should help their child brush their teeth until they can tie their own shoes, and remind them to spit out any excess toothpaste instead of swallowing it.One danger to baby teeth is sometimes called Baby Bottle Mouth—the decay of a child’s front teeth. The most common contributor to Baby Bottle Mouth is prolonged exposure to sugary drinks. Even if a little one isn’t downing bottles of sugar-sweetened sodas, liquids that baby drinks may have added or natural sugar. These sugars, which are found in formula, milk, and juice, feed the bacteria in a baby’s mouth and can lead to cavities. Putting a baby to bed with a bottle is a particularly troublesome habit that can bathe the teeth in sugar and bring on Baby Bottle Mouth. If a child needs a bottle to fall asleep, it should contain water only. Breastfeeding offers many health benefits for a little one, but even breastmilk contains sugar that can cause tooth decay. So, no matter how a baby is fed, starting a healthy habit of dental care is very important.The Thurston County Public Health & Social Services Department participates in the Thurston County Local Impact Network. The Network is working toward a common goal of improving health by reducing oral health disparities. You can learn more at https://crhn.org/pages/thurston-county-local-impact-network-lin/