Mikel Arteta challenges Nicolas Pepe and fellow Arsenal subs following Fulham victory

first_img Read More Mikel Arteta challenges Nicolas Pepe and fellow Arsenal subs following Fulham victory Advertisement Mikel Arteta has challenged Arsenal record signing Nicolas Pepe to improve (Pictures: Getty)Mikel Arteta has challenged Nicolas Pepe to ‘raise his levels’ after Arsenal’s record signing was benched for the opening Premier League match of the season against Fulham.Pepe, who completed a club-record £72m move to the Emirates in the summer of 2019, started Arsenal’s FA Cup final win over Chelsea at the end of last season.However, the Ivory Coast international – who endured a mixed first campaign in north London – was benched at Craven Cottage on Saturday, with Arteta instead opting to give new signing Willian his Arsenal debut.Pepe replaced the former Chelsea star with 15 minutes remaining but by that time Arsenal had already put the game to bed, with goals from Alexandre Lacazette, debutant Gabriel and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang securing a 3-0 win.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT PLAY Skip Ad Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling by Metro Read More Video Settings Asked about Pepe’s omission, Arteta said: ‘Well, it’s not [just] for Nico, I think it’s for the players that were on the bench and as well the ones that we had to leave at home.‘If they raise their levels then the performances of the team and club are going to improve and this is what I demand from them. ‘I’m really happy with all the boys and the way they’re training, but selection is getting more complicated and with this new rule of just having only 18 players in the squad makes it very difficult.’Arteta also admitted he was surprised by the performance levels of fellow new signing Gabriel following his £23m move from Lille.‘He hadn’t played any football for six months so to come and play a game in the Premier League after training with the team for three or four days is a big task,’ the Gunners boss added.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘The boy showed a lot of character and what he can do. He can still improve a lot but he had a really good game.‘Willian knows the league, the country and is very settled here so I knew his performance would settle straight away.’Arsenal, sitting top of the Premier League after their emphatic opening-day win, face London rivals West Ham next weekend.Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Sol Campbell rates Arsenal’s top-four chances and Gabriel debut after Fulham winMORE: Willian and Gabriel speak out on their spectacular Arsenal debuts Read More Skip Metro Sport ReporterSunday 13 Sep 2020 11:09 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link14.8kShares Read More Comment 1 min. story Manchester United captain Harry Maguire Full Screen SPONSORED Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Coming Next Read More About Connatix V67539 Top articles 1/1 Advertisement / last_img read more

41 returning Ilonggo OFWs all negative for COVID-19?

first_imgILOILO City – Forty-one seafarers stranded in Metro Manila were scheduled to return to Western Visayas either last night or early this morning. The seafarers would also be subjected to another RT-PCR test. The seafarers were all tested by the Department of Health via the more reliable reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) process, he added. The ship transporting them left the Port of Manila on Thursday night. But Treñas said the President was fed with the wrong information. He denied having prevented Manila-stranded overseas workers from returning to Iloilo. The ship would first dock at the Bredco Port in Bacolod City for the disembarkation of the Bago City seafarers before proceeding to Fort San Pedro in Iloilo City, said Villa. In the case of the Iloilo City seafarers, Mayor Jerry Treñas said, they would again be tested via RT-PCR and while waiting for the results (which could take two to three days) they would be billeted at a hotel. Just this May 4, President Rodrigo Duterte issued a warning to Treñas. They were all negative for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), according to Atty. Roy Villa, spokesperson of the Western Visayas task force on the new coronavirus disease. “I’d like to address local executives. It is your duty to help and protect your constituents. I have no quarrel that you want the contagion stopped right then and there at your doorstep,” Duterte said.  “But you know, OFWs are citizens of this country. Whether we like it or not they have this constitutional right to travel abroad and to come home after working there.” “We will clarify this. Indi nami nga ginaguba ang syudad. Lain diri ang nagakatabo, lain man sugid sa babaw,” said Treñas. Instead of prohibiting overseas Filipinos from returning home and leaving them stranded, the President said local governments should provide special facilities for them to complete their mandatory 14-day quarantine./PN * OFWs must have certification that they have finished a 14-day quarantine Of the 41 seafarers, 25 were residents of Iloilo province; 10, Iloilo City; five, Guimaras; and one, Bago City in Negros Occidental. On the part of the Iloilo provincial government, Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. said, LGUs were prepared to accommodate the returning seafarers in their respective quarantine facilities.center_img Upon disembarkation at Fort San Pedro, the seafarers from Iloilo city and province, and Guimaras would be taken to a hotel on General Luna Street for 14 days of quarantine. Subjecting the seafarers to RT-PCR test in Manila was in line with resolutions No. 12, 13 and 14 of the regional COVID-19 task force on the repatriation of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). They set the following protocols: * OFWs must have medical certificates attesting to their being asymptomatic and in good health condition “Sa city of Iloilo, hindi ninyo tinanggap ‘yung mga (returning) overseas Filipino workers. Sir, mayor, nakikiusap ako sa inyo…magkakaroon ho tayo ng problema if you resist,” said the President in a televised address to the nation. “I think may naga-intriga. Sa akon paglantaw lain ang information ang nagalab-ot sa babaw,” he said. * OFWs must have undergone RT-PCR test with negative result conducted within seven days prior to boarding However, according to Villa, the local government units (LGUs) of these seafarers have the option of taking them directly to their respective quarantine facilities. “May iban nga ma-deretso na sa ila banwa…but siling ko…mapreparar gid…kita sang alternative facility,” said Defensor. Treñas did not name anyone who could be giving President Duterte with false information but gave a hint, “Sila man to may access sa babaw.” Duterte said he may be forced to “operate” through the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG). Seafarers with negative test results would be allowed to continue their quarantine at home, said Treñas. “Sumunod kayo sa magandang paraan, o pipilitin kong sumunod kayo. I don’t want to embarrass people,” the Chief Executive said. On April 29, the first batch of Ilonggo OFWs stranded in Metro Manila returned to Western Visayas. As of May 8, 23 of them tested positive for COVID-19 (Aklan, one; Antique, three; Guimaras, two; Iloilo province, four; Negros Occidental, four; Bacolod City, two; Iloilo City, seven).last_img read more