Researchers map 209 flu virus genomes

first_imgOct 6, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Influenza researchers marked a milestone yesterday by publishing a report on the complete genetic mapping of 209 samples of human flu viruses, vastly increasing the supply of genetic data on flu. The report, published in Nature, is one of the first fruits of the Influenza Genome Sequencing Project, which aims to trace the genetic blueprints of thousands of flu viruses. The project, announced in November 2004, is a joint effort of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the Wadsworth Center of the New York State Department of Health in Albany, and The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR) in Rockville, Md. The flu genome sequencing project is now being expanded to include avian flu, in an effort to learn how often avian strains cross into humans, the article says. The H5N1 avian strain now circulating in Asia has already infected more than 115 humans. Experts fear it could soon gain the ability to spread readily from person to person, thereby launching a pandemic. “These new data give us the most comprehensive picture to date of how influenza viruses evolve and are transmitted throughout human populations,” NIAID Director Anthony Fauci, MD, said in a news release. He said the new information could lead to better vaccines, drugs, and diagnostic tools for flu. “As a result of this project, the number of complete human H3N2 influenza virus genomes in GenBank [a public online database] has already grown from just seven genomes to over 200,” the article says. The samples analyzed include 207 H3N2 viruses and two H1N2 isolates, which were gathered in New York state over five flu seasons, from 1998-99 through 2003-04. “The sequenced strains were not preselected because of their virulence or unusual characteristics, giving researchers an unbiased view of flu virus evolution as it moved through a varied human population,” the NIAID statement said. See also: They detected a number of mutations (changes in particular amino acids) that occurred during the study period, and also found three cases in which strains traded whole gene segments (reassortments). In July some members of the team reported in detail on the most significant of these events, in which two groups, or clades, of H3N2 viruses acquired the hemagglutinin gene from a third H3N2 group. That gave rise to the Fujian strain of flu, which predominated in the 2003-04 flu season. The vaccine that year was not well matched to the Fujian strain and had reduced effectiveness. The viruses were surprisingly varied. “Even within a geographically constrained set of isolates, we have found surprising genetic diversity, indicating that the reservoir of influenza A strains in the human population—and the concomitant potential for segment exchange between strains—may be greater than was previously suspected,” the researchers write. By carefully cataloging mutations and reassortments, “we can begin to get the first real picture of the rate of mutational events underlying influenza A virus evolution,” the researchers write. The research was done by a large team, with Elodie Ghedin of TIGR listed as the first author. They published their report the same day other teams reported on the re-creation of the deadly 1918 pandemic flu virus and a finding that the 1918 virus closely resembled avian flu viruses. Ghedin E, Sengamalay NA, Shumway M, et al. Large-scale sequencing of human influenza reveals the dynamic nature of viral genome evolution. Nature 2005 Oct 5 (advance online publication) [Full text] Ghedin and colleagues say that until now, scientists had fully mapped and published the genomes of only a few strains of human flu viruses. Most of the published data pertain to short fragments of the genes for the virus’s two key surface proteins, hemagglutinin and neuraminidase. Jul 26, 2005, CIDRAP News story “Flu viruses can evolve in unsuspected ways, study says”last_img read more

Lawyers shuffle City deck

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Pelham in $220m Polish push

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Boys Tennis Sectional Pairings

first_imgThe 2013 Indiana High School Boys Tennis Sectional pairings have been released.  Sectional play will be starting on Wednesday, October 2nd and wrapping up on Saturday, October 5th.Here’s The WRBI Area Boys Sectional Draws.Sectional 57 at South Dearborn.Wednesday (10-2):  East Central vs. Oldenburg Academy.   5 PM.Thursday  (10-3):  Batesville vs. South Dearborn.  5 PM.Milan vs. Wednesday’s Winner.   5 PM.Saturday  (10-5):  Thursday’s Winners.   TBAChampionship.   TBA.Sectional 10 at Connersville.Thursday  (10-3):  Union County vs. Connersville.   4:30 PM.Rushville vs. Franklin County.   4:30 PM.Saturday  (10-5):  Championship.   10 AMSectional 29 at Jennings County.Thursday  (10-4):  Madison vs. Southwestern.   5 PM.Jennings County vs. Greensburg.   5 PM.Saturday  (10-5):  Championship.Submitted by Batesville AD Mark Ferguson and The IHSAA.last_img read more

Johnson resigned to leaving Anfield

first_imgDefender Glen Johnson appears resigned to leaving Liverpool at the end of the season after insisting he will not “go crawling” to the club for a new contract. Press Association “I have enjoyed the majority of the six years; I’ve had some good times and some bad times, but if I haven’t got a contract then I can’t stay,” said the England defender. “Of course it plays on your mind but that is when you have to be professional and try to do a job for your team, and I respect my team-mates and I want to put in a performance for them. “I want to play for a club that wants me – I am not going to go crawling to anybody. The club know where I am and they know the situation. “There were minor talks at the end of last season but nothing I could accept or reject.” Asked whether he was surprised Liverpool had not made more effort to extend his contract, Johnson added: “I have not really thought of it like that. “Whether it is football or business I don’t really worry about things I can’t control. “All I can do is try to keep doing my job every weekend and whatever will unfold will unfold.” As he enters the last six months of his contract the right-back is entitled to sign a pre-contract agreement with overseas clubs, but is remaining focused on his immediate future. “It is not my business to talk to other clubs at the moment,” he said. “I want to play my football, keep winning for Liverpool and I want to respect my contract, and that is what I am willing to do.” Johnson’s first goal since December 2012, stooping to convert a low header after Rickie Lambert’s header had come back off the crossbar, gave his side a 1-0 victory over Stoke. Having ended a three-match losing run in the league the defender believes a top-four finish is still very much within their grasp. “You enjoy winning games, scoring goals and being involved in assists – they are the great parts of football so on a personal level I am very happy,” he added. “Nothing has changed from last year. The backroom staff, the playing staff are fighting for the same cause and the objective is still the same, but in football you go through some sticky patches. “The quality is not in doubt, it is about confidence and trying to put a run of performances together.” Talks to extend his current deal, which expires in the summer, ground to a halt in the close season when the two parties reached an impasse over terms. It is understood the Reds wanted Johnson, who turned 30 in August, to sign a reduced-terms contract to reflect his age but he is unwilling to accept that. last_img read more

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe backs Stoke to start moving up the table

first_img The Potters thrashed Tottenham and Liverpool at the end of last season to finish ninth in the table but have failed to carry that momentum into the current campaign. No wins in six league games so far see Mark Hughes’ side languishing in the bottom three ahead of this weekend’s clash but Howe has warned his players not to underestimate their opponents. Press Association ”When I have reviewed Stoke’s games I have been very impressed,” Howe said. ”They don’t look like a team that haven’t won yet. They are the kind of side that you will see in a few weeks and they will be in a very different position. ”But we don’t need to worry about that. We know that if we are at our best levels we can beat anyone in this league, so it’s down to us. ”The performance against Sunderland was good, but we will prepare for Stoke on an individual basis. ”We are not at the stage where we can start to group games together. We want points from every game.” Bournemouth have enjoyed an encouraging start to life in the top flight. Wins over West Ham and Sunderland, as well as a draw against Leicester, mean the Cherries sit 14th and they scraped past Preston on penalties in the Capital One Cup third round on Tuesday. A second consecutive league victory against Stoke could see Howe’s side climb into the top half but they will have to do it without captain Tommy Elphick and midfielder Harry Arter, who are both injured. Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe insists Saturday’s opponents Stoke will soon climb away from the Barclays Premier League relegation zone. ”Both Tommy and Harry are still out,” Howe said. ”Tommy has flown to Sweden to get an update on his injury and Harry is still continuing his rehab. ”Harry has had a little niggle this week, not on his original injury, so it’s just a case of letting that settle down. But that’s only natural when you’ve been out for the length of time that he has. ”Tommy has gone to see a specialist he used when he was at Brighton. Hopefully after that it will be a case of building him back up quite quickly.” last_img read more

Mon Dieu! The Eiffel Tower is Closed Due to a Climber

first_imgThe Eiffel Tower is closed as police deal with a climber who scaled the Paris attraction.Officials tweeted the Tower was “closed until further notice” after the unidentified climber was spotted on the top side.The climber appears to be wearing a red jacket, but doesn’t have any political banners.

Man climbing Eiffel Tower prompts evacuation of the famed French landmark as a safety precaution. https://t.co/8WMXqEZgGa

— NBC News (@NBCNews) May 20, 2019

The popular Paris tourist attraction was also evacuated as a safety precaution.last_img read more

Ronaldo gives Real win over Malaga, Atletico hammer Levante

first_imgBy Richard MartinBARCELONA (Reuters) – Cristiano Ronaldo scored on the rebound after having a penalty saved to give Real Madrid a scarcely-deserved 3-2 win against Malaga on Saturday while Atletico Madrid recorded their biggest win of the season by thrashing Levante 5-0.Real twice squandered the lead at home to Malaga due to individual errors but restored their advantage for a third time in the 76th minute as Ronaldo knocked in on the rebound when his spot-kick was turned away by visiting goalkeeper Roberto, ending a domestic goal drought that had spanned four games.Atletico took advantage of some woeful defending from their hosts, whose defender Rober Pier scored an own goal in the fifth minute while Kevin Gameiro cashed in on a dreadful attempted clearance by Chema Rodriguez to tap in the second in the 29th.Gameiro struck again after the interval while Antoine Griezmann scored twice in the space of three minutes to complete the rout, netting for the first time in seven league games.Atletico are third, tied with fourth-placed Real on 27 points after 13 games while Barcelona, on 34, visit second-placed Valencia on Sunday with the chance to move seven points clear at the top of the standings.“This was a great performance from us, we began with an early goal and put them under a lot of pressure and created a lot of chances,” Gameiro told reporters.“It’s great to score five goals but we have to keep working like this.”Atletico also set a club record of 13 games unbeaten at the start of a season, bettering their previous tally of 12 from the 1995-96 campaign when they won a league and Cup double.Karim Benzema nudged in Real’s opening goal in the ninth minute after Ronaldo’s header came back off the bar but Malaga levelled in the 16th through Uruguayan Diego Rolan after an awful misplaced pass in the area by Real’s Toni Kroos.It was Malaga’s first goal away from home in the league this season.Germany midfielder Kroos made amends by whipping in a corner which Casemiro leaped to head Real back in front in the 21st minute, while Malaga were denied an equaliser on the stroke of halftime for a foul by defender Paul Baysse on Dani Carvajal as he headed home.“VERY DIFFICULT” Real were without captain Sergio Ramos, who broke his nose in last week’s goalless draw with Atletico Madrid.Coach Zinedine Zidane also rested Luka Modric and benched usual number one goalkeeper Keylor Navas despite the Costa Rican returning from injury, instead keeping faith with Kiko Casilla.Malaga pulled level again 12 minutes into the second half following two errors from Madrid. First Raphael Varane gave the ball away and then Casilla let Gonzalo Castro’s shot from distance slip through his hands.Real took the lead for the third time when Luis Hernandez tripped Luka Modric in the area, allowing Ronaldo to convert at the second time of asking.“We started well and scored early which is important but we started giving the ball away and everything changed,” Zidane told reporters.“The second half was very difficult but we’re happy with the result and need to remember we won, even if things didn’t go exactly as we would have wanted.”Elsewhere on Saturday Real Betis and Girona played out a thrilling 2-2 draw with three goals in a frantic finale while Eibar won a local derby at Alaves 2-1.last_img read more

3 Syracuse women’s basketball storylines to watch for at Orange Madness

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ The rings were the final addition to the 2016 Final Four spoils for both teams, which included a Final Four sideline chair for each player, a watch and an array of clothing and sneakers. Comments Syracuse had the best season in program history last year, making it to the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game and the national championship game. The Orange lost both contests but hosted NCAA Tournament games for the first time in school history and earned its highest rank in program history.The Orange lost 3-point ace Brianna Butler, who set an NCAA record with 415 attempted 3s last year, but returns its other two four scorers in Alexis Peterson and Brittney Sykes.Orange Madness in the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. will provide a first look at this year’s team. Here are three storylines to watch for.Who will emerge from 3 without Brianna Butler?Brianna Butler led the Orange with 129 made 3-pointers last season, converting on 31.1 percent, and holds the SU program record with 373 career 3s. Orange head coach Quentin Hillsman molded the guard into a player with a shoot-first mentality and called her the best shooter in the country at times.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWithout Butler, the Orange will have to rely heavily on senior guards Peterson and Sykes to pick up where Butler left off from behind the arc. One of these two will likely be competing in Friday’s 3-point contest, which will serve as the fans’ first opportunity to see if SU can rely on the deep ball as heavily this season as it did last.Let’s danceAt last year’s Orange Madness, the SU players gathered at midcourt after their 10-minute scrimmage and entertained the crowd with a choreographed dance.If they decide to choreograph another dance this year, expect it to be one of the most entertaining parts of the night from both sides.Last year, the team danced to an array of songs including “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)”, “Crank That” and “Hit the Quan,” and the crowd danced and sang along. It was a sharp juxtaposition to Christian rapper NF’s performance at Orange Madness, during which almost no fans sang or danced along.It’s not clear if the Orange will put together another dance this year, but Peterson, one of the leaders of the 2015 dance, will be back on the court for SU.Put a ring on itBoth the SU men and women’s teams will be receiving their 2016 Final Four rings at Orange Madness, SU Athletics has said. Assistant coach Tammi Reiss posted a picture of what the rings look like on her Twitter account, but this will be the first time fans will get to see the rings up close.center_img Published on October 19, 2016 at 10:16 pm Contact Matt: mjfel100@syr.edulast_img read more

Finance Minister Audley Shaw racks up $64,869 cellular phone bill

first_imgFinance Minister, Audley Shaw phone bill a whopping JMD$8 MillionFollowing public outcry after it was revealed that Jamaica’s finance minister Audley Shaw racked up a J$8.3 million cell phone bill, Prime Minister Andrew Holness has announced that all Cabinet ministers will take responsibility for their telephone bills.Following an emergency meeting of the island’s cabinet at Gordon House in Kingston on Tuesday, Holness said the situation is unacceptable and must be addressed immediately.During the meeting Holness ordered an audit of all cell phone bills of Ministers and State Ministers to confirm the accuracy of information in the public domain.Jamaica Prime Minister Andrew HolnessHolness admitted that there was no standard, clear and consistent policy being applied across government regarding the treatment of communication expenses for Ministers.Read More: Jamaican Government reduces property tax ratesThe Prime Minister has directed the Ministry of Finance to review the respective policies for the provision of communication services including cell phones, operating in the various Ministries. This is to allow Cabinet to make a comprehensive decision on how communication services and expenses for Ministers are treated. Below is a copy of Audley Shaw’s phone bill from April 2016 to March 2017.A copy of Audley Shaw phone bill from April 2016 to March 2017Should phone bills be capped?In the interim, he instructed that cellular phone expenses be capped. The Ministry of Finance has been tasked to advise the Prime Minister, within a week on the appropriate amount for the cap. Any amount exceeding the cap should, therefore, be the responsibility of the respective Ministers unless otherwise approved by the Permanent Secretary.The Cabinet members have agreed that public concerns about the level of some bills are valid.Read More: Income Tax threshold increase for JamaicansIn furtherance of their Ministerial responsibility to be frugal with the public purse, notwithstanding that most of the costs incurred would have been in pursuit of the Government’s business, they have committed to reimburse the Government retroactively the difference between actual bill and the capped amount to be determined and imposed.In the meantime, the Minister of Science, Energy and Technology is being mandated to enter into discussions with telecommunications providers to devise standard cell phone and data packages for Government Ministers.last_img read more